www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How hard is this - links in an email (i think!)

How hard is this - links in an email (i think!)

Hi, i need to create some sort of contact function for my website.

When users are logged in they have an option to click YES to meet people when they come across their photo on my site. I am thinking of designing it so that, when the user (who is logged in) clicks YES, the site automatically emails the person in the photo with the users' (who is logged in and clicked yes) personal details. Because the user is logged in it will be easy to get their personal details from the database.

So when the person in the photo receives an email from my site. They will be able to see the persons personal details who wants to meets them.

OK so all of this seems straight forward so far, but now i want the user to be able to click a link in the email that lets them decide if they want to Meet the person or not.

So i need two links:

NO - which automatically emails the person back telling them that they are not free to Meet

YES - automatically emails the person back with a message saying "Congratulations, USER has accepted your request and want to meet you. Here is their personal EMAIL address"

So now the person who originally requested to meet the person in the photo, will receive an email back from my site with the person in the photos personal email address

How hard would it be to to do all of this, and can someone please point me in the right direction (also if you think there is a better method for creating something like this, please can you let me know). I think the hardest part is make the two links in the email that will automatically do the NO and YES commands. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

thanks in advance

It's simple enough...

The task gets broken down into three scripts.

Script1 is the script that displays the options to your meeter (the person who wants to do the meeting.

Script2 sends an email to the meetee (the person they want to meet)

And Script3 processes the meetee's response.

Assuming you have the database of pre-registered members under control, and you can display them ok, then all you need to do in Script1 is add a link against each potential meetee. When your meeter clicks that link, he/she sends some basic identifiers to Script2, something like this...

<a href="script2.php?meeter=xxx&meetee=yyy">Click To Meet This Person</a>
    where xxx is some indexed reference for the meeter's record in your database
    and yyy is some indexed reference for the meetee.

Script2 now reads those incoming variables and sends meeter's details to meetee. Something like...

$meeter = $_REQUEST['meeter'];//get's the meeter's reference number
    $meetee = $_REQUEST['meetee'];

//find meeter's details in your db

//find meetee's name and email address

//assemble email and send

The email contains two links back to Script3. The first flags meet as "YES" and the second flags as "NO", something like...
    <a href="http://www.yourdomain.tld/script3.php?meeter=xxx&meetee=yyy&meet=YES">Meet This Person</a>
    <a href="http://www.yourdomain.tld/script3.php?meeter=xxx&meetee=yyy&meet=NO">Don't Meet This Person</a>

Script3 then receives these variables and processes them accordingly...

if($meet=="YES"){ //send contact details}else{ //send rejection advice}

CTB
    Oh Lord, please help me be the person my dog thinks I am.

Wow, thanks man...

Thread Information