www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: dynamic iframe heigth...

dynamic iframe heigth...

I am just trying to get it so that I can load just the "text" part of the page and not the header, top menu, side menu, or footer. The only bad thing about this is that it makes it so that there is i scrollable area inside of the "main" page, this make is more of a pain to scroll the pages to see the information. I need some way to make the iframe loaded to "show" all of the information so that it is not scrollable and does not cut off some of the information.

This is what I am thinking... At the top of the page I have a menu that loads its links into an iframe that is under the menu. I have it set so that the iframe is set to 70% of the width of the page, is there any way that I can make it so that the height is deturmined by the amount of the content of the page that is loaded? so if there is only 50 words then the height would be small but if there was but is there was 5,000 word then it would make the iframe larger thus for making the "main" page longer.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

It doesn't sound like you want iframes at all. Why are you not just making a page with a header, a top menu, a side menu, your content (however big or small it is) and your footer at the bottom? It sounds like you're over-thinking this problem.

Dave

I do not want iframes but since you can not have a source on a div element then the only thing I can do is to make it using an iframe. I work for a non-profit organization, meaning that the people that work here only know how to use MS office programs and that is all. I am going to get the website so I can train one person how to use GoLive and the very very basics of html.

I do not want them to have access to the "core code" of the web site because they can easly "brake" it. It would be better to give the person a page that is like this....

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en">
    	<head>
    		<title>Test 4</title>
                    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="files/main.css" />
            </head>

<body>
                    ONLY MAKE CHANGES HERE!!!!
            </body>
    </html>
    Instead of a page with over 500 lines....Plus i think that it is a bad idea to copy and paste 500 lines of text onto every single page. There is no need for that. I would say that people that do that need to go work at taco bell, what if you need to go and change one item to some other item there you go you know have to make that change to every single page on you site....

It is like making the choice to use inline styles on every element...no thanks I like css to much.

So I take it that what I want done can not be done? Yet another example why we need a whole need web language....Can this be done with any hack even? How about with js, dhtml, xml, ajax...anything? Point me in a direction so that I can learn I am not asking for some one to take the time to write the code for me just to get me started.

Sorry but where is the edit button?? I see the quote and the quick reply button but not an edit button...

Any way I thought I might have found the answer the height tag can be set to auto using CSS but that does not seem to work with the iframe... the www said that the iframe height can only be "length" or "%" nothing is said about auto though....

Why would they make it so some elements can have an auto tag but not others...it only makes since to me to be able to set the height to auto...but that is just me...

EDIT: found the edit button on this post...must have a time limit setup...

SOVLED: here is the fix
    http://www.phpmix.org/iframe_height_auto_resize
    Last edited by dcanup; 05-30-2007 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcanup
    I do not want iframes but since you can not have a source on a div element then the only thing I can do is to make it using an iframe.
    You can have a server-side include inside a div, which is awefully close to what you're looking for.

Dave

Thread Information