dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

View Poll Results: Which is the best Windows OS?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vista

0 0%
  • XP

12 80.00%

1 6.67%
  • ME

0 0%
  • NT (any version, specify in your post)

0 0%
  • 98 Second Edition

0 0%

1 6.67%

0 0%
  • 3.X

0 0%
  • Other version that I'm missing

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which version of Windows is the best?

Which version of Windows is the best?

I was wondering which Microsoft Windows OS everybody thought was the best out of them all.

I gave these choices in the poll: Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 98 SE, Windows 98, Windows 95, Windows 3.X, or another Windows version I'm missing.

I personally believe that Windows 2000 is the best Windows OS. It has a newer-feeling interface (Windows 98 SE just looks and feels too old), and I really like the sounds on it. Also it seems to be the most stable out of them all.

So please vote in the poll, and then tell us why you voted for that OS.

Thanks!

Im going to go ahead and say none...
    The closer to the bottom of the list you get, you have less and less stable and secure systems.
    The closer to the top you get, you get more aggressive marketing tactics, it being pushed onto you one it comes out, and a more restrictive OS in terms of what you can/cant do with it. example: WGA notifications (mine wasn't "genuine" even though i bought it in a store...) and more recently, DRM, which tells you what you can and cant do with your media. ("That video card isn't certified!!!!" *Vista Dies*) Also, its more and more of a resource hog (the data in vista is encrypted/decrypted about 2/3 times before it gets to the display.

On the other hand, you can ditch windows and get a free/secure/eyecandyfull(beryl)/user-freindly os, in the sense that the only thing that you pay is the time deprogramming yourself from using windows. i do find it id much easier to maintain aswell, due to there being no malware.
    And apperentally, the linux kernal can use up too 900 million GB of ram... (im imagining sometime in the future... "What? 900 million? Thats archaic.") and you dont need to defrag because linux doesn't fragment the files.

Which is the best OS? linux.
    Out of your list, i think your choice is correct.

EDIT: i choose other.

I use XP sp2 on my laptop and ubuntu on my desktop. I have to agree with Ryan about Linux...it rocks. But, if i have to choose a windows version i would say XP, only because it hasn't given me too many problems.

(EXTREEEEEEEEMELY aggravated sigh) The name of this thread is "Which version of WINDOWS is the best?" So of course everybody goes and talks about Linux.... I should have known better than to make a thread like this here... I had actually forgotten about Webdeveloper for a few days as the other forums website I go to is so quick to respond to new threads/posts....

Ryan said "Out of your list, i think your choice is correct."

I said "But, if i have to choose a windows version i would say XP..."

???
    Last edited by Kevey; 06-02-2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: b-cuz

Yeah I know... but you both put them as afterthoughts after rampages about Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by EricG1793
    Yeah I know... but you both put them as afterthoughts after rampages about Linux.
    Well, this forum has always been that way. People can't control what other people say, and they shouldn't have a desire to do that anyway. You just have to weed through the information to get the nuggets you're looking for...just like real conversation.

Have a good one.
    Last edited by Kevey; 06-02-2007 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevey
    Well, this forum has always been that way. People can't control what other people say, and they shouldn't have a desire to do that anyway. You just have to weed through the information to get the nuggets you're looking for...just like real conversation.

Have a good one.
    I have no intention of, nor am I trying to, control what people say in threads I start.... It's just why waste their server space for stuff that's off topic? Hey, don't get me wrong, I do like discussing Windows vs Linux, just not in a thread that's specifically for which version of Windows is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by EricG1793
    I have no intention of, nor am I trying to, control what people say in threads I start.... It's just why waste their server space for stuff that's off topic? Hey, don't get me wrong, I do like discussing Windows vs Linux, just not in a thread that's specifically for which version of Windows is the best.
    I don't mean to imply that you are intentionally trying to control people's responses...it's just a blanket statement with regards to the process of communication.

I don't think anyone minds the extra server space for our chattiness. That's how we've all developed good relationships and why we keep coming back day after day to help each other get through our programming woes.

Peace!

I don't regard Windows as an operating system. DOS is an operating system, Windows is a graphical interface with a load of extras throw in for commercial reasons.

XP SP2 is the best Windows OS I have used. Having read about Vista, I shan't be rushing to install it.

Sorry about that, i just read "Which is the best OS."
    Thats a good observation gizmo, i hadn't thought about that.

XP SP2 = lesser of all evils

Lightbulb XP is best.

I would say XP, because it has good expandibility, although you have to trick it out with lots of antivirus/antispyware. Don't forget about a firewall, and IE7 for security fixes, and Firefox to avoid using it

And for Vista, that's barely and Operating System.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny G
    I would say XP, because it has good expandibility, although you have to trick it out with lots of antivirus/antispyware. Don't forget about a firewall, and IE7 for security fixes, and Firefox to avoid using it

And for Vista, that's barely and Operating System.
    I can't stand IE either! FireFox is the best! YAAAAAYYYY innovative, fast, and reliable browsing!!!!

Thread Information