www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Adding a word document to my website

Adding a word document to my website

Hello all,

I have some Word documents that I would like to include in my website. I have tried saving them as "web page" file types and then copying the HTML source code into my own web page, but the apostrophe's come out as squares. Anyone know a way around this?

And a further point. I have also tried to create an HREF to the Word Web Page file and this link simply doesn't work ("Internet Explorer cannot display..."), but when I open the Word Web Page in question outside of the website, straight from the desktop, it opens within the browser no problem.

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

Regards,

Simon G

Hello simon,
    I am very new to HTML but on my web site I used this
    Code:
    <li><a href="macro_user_guide.doc">Macro's User Guide (MS Word)</a></li>
    This was copied from my web page. When I click on it, there is an option to download the document or display it. When I display it, MS IE seems to open MS Word and display the document in my web page.

I hope this helps,
    bkelly

Quote Originally Posted by simon g
    I have some Word documents that I would like to include in my website. I have tried saving them as "web page" file types and then copying the HTML source code into my own web page, but the apostrophe's come out as squares. Anyone know a way around this?
    Use OpenOffice to do this; it's 'friendlier ' with html. Copy only the style and content, not the whole document. The 'squares' are characters that need to be converted to entities. Any images in the original document will not be transfered to the web document.

Quote Originally Posted by simon g
    And a further point. I have also tried to create an HREF to the Word Web Page file and this link simply doesn't work ("Internet Explorer cannot display..."), but when I open the Word Web Page in question outside of the website, straight from the desktop, it opens within the browser no problem.
    You can't easily link to your desktop from the web (not for noobs). Copy the word document to your site and link as bkelly suggests.
    Last edited by Fang; 06-18-2007 at 01:40 AM.
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

Many thanks chaps. I shall follow your advice.

Thread Information