www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Website on CD

Website on CD

I have a website I'd like to distribute to a client on CD. I have made all the links local so it will run anywhere and doesn't need to be online.

I don't particularly want any "Johnny" being able to open Explorer and view the sites files.

So, if possible, I'd like and program that will bundle all the files into a single .exe file that when run will extract all the website files into a win temp directory and show the viewer the website in their default browser. (not worried bout Mac at this early stage)

Is there a simple application that will do this??

Thanks
    Epoc

and what will prevent them from simply right clicking and viewing the source?

You could put all your files into a zip file, then password protect it using a utility like this: http://www.webmasterfree.com/eZy_Zip_d5028.html

KDLA
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

But then, of course, they would need to extract the files before viewing the website.
    Personally, I think the idea of taking the "web" out of a "web site" is more often than not the wrong approach.
    If you really want to hide your files/source, consider making an actual .exe using the programming language of your choice. (Flash is always a good option- it won't guarantee that users won't see your code, since flash can be decompiled, but a lot fewer people know how to do this)

Hello there,

I used recently OutSite-In (www.outsite-in.com) to create a website on CD for a departmental store.
    You can copy your entire website or just part of it. The software generates some folders and an autorun file that you copy on CD.
    The user just inserts the CD in his computer and displays the offline website in a browser. No complementary installation needed.

Hope this can help.

Phil.

Thread Information