dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Stop spamming in phpbb

Stop spamming in phpbb

Hi,

I have a phpbb forum that is currently disabled as I'm still working on the site. Before when I had the forum active I would every so often find that a new user would join the forum, but it would just end up being a spam bot. I have image verification and account activation is set to user (I don't want to have to accept myself every new user that signs up). I was wondering if there was any add-in or something that would stop the spamming.

If they are passing image verification and email account activation then it is someone targeting you and specifically setting up a spam bot not just a random bot. I would suggest banning the IP's of the users that you are finding in the forum that are spam bots and see if that remedy's the situation.

I've banned the ips and the names. I'll try turning back on the forum (it's been several weeks since I've had it off) and I'll see if it's stopped now.

ok buddy, whats the site url?

If banning the IP's didnt work then the person/s doing it is probably running through a proxy server to hide his/her's IP.... not that will help you but still worth knowing. what type of server are you running the forum on?

It's through my web host (www.aaa1webs.com). It's a unix server that uses cpanel and has fantastico (however you spell it). Just so you know I all ready was thinking proxy server (I work in IT so I'm not new to that kind of stuff). Nobody even really knows about the forum (there is no acutal users other than myself) as I don't really have the site going yet. So I don't get why anyone would want to spam a forum that doesn't have people on it.

Thread Information