www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: FYI on msblast.exe virus

FYI on msblast.exe virus

People have described the problem with the virus and it was not happening for me. However, the past couple of days I have been getting and error in regards to my svchost.exe file. This started to lead to a number of other problems which I couldn't place my finger on. I now know that at least on Win2K Pro that the svchost.exe error is a known effect of the bug. If you have Win2K Pro and are having trouble with this file, you now know why. Too bad I need to download the service pack 4, which is 130MB on my 56K connection.

MS blast is not that big of a deal... It can easily be stopped, step one disconnect from the internet. Step two check your processes to see if something called msblast is running since that was the file name of the thing. Step three do a search for it. Step four delete it. Step 5 download the patch. wooo, not hard. But its just that the people who made it managed to get it onto the windows update site so a bunch of regular every day inept people caught it and then it caused many, many problems for support reps.

I am running WinXP and got this Virus. My brother is a Computer wiz and he fixed it, but I am pretty sure this is what he did.

If you already have the Virus:
    On the restart after the shutdown, imediately after your desktop appears, hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the Task Manager. Click the Processes tab and look for one named "msBlast.exe. (or something like that)" and end it.
    Click on the Start menu, right click "My Computer" and select "Manage." Then double click "Services and Applications," then "Services," scroll down and look for "Remote Precedure Call (RPC) Locator," double click it.
    When the window opens, click the "Recovery" tab. In the following dropdown boxes, select, "Take no Action." Hit Apply, then Okay. That should stop the shutdown.
    Then go to www.trendmicro.com and scan your computer.
    Then download the Patch to make sure you don't get it again.

This is from what I remember he did. This might not be it, so don't get mad at me if it doesn't work and your Computer screws up.
    If anyone here knows what to do for it when running WinXP Home, and knows if I did something wrong, please say so.
    Last edited by Paul Jr; 08-13-2003 at 10:03 PM.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

I heard if you just delete the msblast.exe it will keep it from happening. There are other files it puts on ur comp but they cant harm anything.

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    I heard if you just delete the msblast.exe it will keep it from happening. There are other files it puts on ur comp but they cant harm anything.
    I deleted the msblast.exe file and I still have the issues I had before because I haven't installed the service pack and patch just yet. I'm doing that now and thankfully I had the wrong version of the service pack because it's actually about 15MB. Even if it's an easy fix, it's been a pain trying to deal with it because of the numerous funky things my computer does right now like take my ability to use Ctrl+V. Normally you think of a virus as coming through e-mails with attachments and I can see those things a mile away. This wasn't like that at all. It just showed up on my front door uninvited.

Yeah. When I first got it, it only shutdown my computer like once a week. The after a while, it started doing it more, soon, it was more then once a day. And the killer, is that whether I was connected to the internet didn't matter. I was screwed either way.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

Thread Information