dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

View Poll Results: What company manufactures a superior computer? Dell or HP?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dell

38 46.91%
  • HP

43 53.09%
Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: The real Hp Vs. Dell battle

I just bought the second monitor down on this page. It's a Dell, it looks sweet, it's 20", it's 1600x1200 and has a 16ms response time! That's outrageously good, and especially at that price. It also looks awesome.

To be honest the only reason I bought that particular monitor is because it's the cheapest, however it does have an amazing spec. I saw a similarly priced LG monitor with a sluggish 25ms response time so I didn't give it a second thought. Originally I was gonna get a 17" LCD Iiyama monitor with an 8ms response time, but I was tempted by the 20"ness, and 16ms is still pretty damn good. I should be getting it on Tuesday, I just hope it doesn't suffer from any dead pixels.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

Don't ya just hate dead pixels? On my sisters Win 95 laptop (HP) three pixels in the lower right of the screen are always blue. Despite whatever is displayed on the screen, they are blue. Whenever I use that computer, those blue pixels drive me insane!

Dude, that is a great monitor! Mine is the HP vs19c
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...#defaultAnchor

This 15" LCD monitor has 1 dead pixel in the lower left, not bad though considering it was bought in 2001.

Also, why bother with a 19" monitor? They run at the same resolution as 17" monitors but they cost more!

I hate dead pixiels they are so annoying
    Update on shotty dell hardware the dell would not let my USB key out so i had to take out the PCI card and use it as a fixed hard drive ( a 64mb one

14?????? has the count gone down????

So my monitor is up and running now, I took some pictures of it next to my old one while they were both on, I'll have to upload them later so's you can all see how sweet it looks.

I closely examined the monitor by displaying an all black then all white screen, I could not see a single dead pixel!!! How awesome is that?!?!? Not a single one out of all 1.92 MILLION!!!

Seventeen and a half awesome, that's how much.

I just went online and played a quick round of Unreal Tounrment 2004 on full graphics settings at 1600x1200 and the monitor displayed it awesomely, I brought up a frame rate counter and I was getting a constant 85 FPS. Niiiice, although the monitor can only display 60 of those.

I'm actually slightly miffed about that actually, the monitor only has a refresh rate 60 Hz at this resolution, however the human eye can only see 24 FPS anyway so I guess it doesn't matter, there's no flicker with an LCD like there is with a CRT so it's all good.

Somethin' else I realised while I was playing, with a response time of 16ms, it means it's possible for all the pixels to go from fully black, to fully white and back again 62.5 times per second, and the monitor can display 60 frames per second, and that means that I will never get even the slightest trace of ghosting on this monitor which makes it perfect for games.

Dell supplied me with a VGA lead and DVI lead aswell, which was nice and unexpected, most monitors seem not to come with the DVI lead. What they didn't supply though was a power lead, they gave me the transformer, but Overclockers (the place I bought it from) themselves threw the lead in, so it's all up and running and I'm very happy with it.

Big thumbs up to Dell on this one!

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention, the monitor can take several different inputs, VGA, DVI, S-Video and composite, it also has 2 USB sockets on it, so if I wanted to I could actually use this monitor as a KVM switch. That's cool.
    Last edited by David Harrison; 09-06-2005 at 08:52 AM.

I took some pictures and uploaded them as a zip to here.

Some of them are really bluured, that's because apparently you have to wait for the green light to come back on before you move, I did not know this, I just clicked and moved on.

It was kinda bright, but I took pics with and without flash, the ones with flash are less blurred but the screens look a lot duller.

Now you can all see, EVEN when it's blurred, it looks sweet.

Nice nice David 85FPS(god like :])
    EDIT:

Ohhh and your desk is hella messy , and i see your BFG 6800U HSF
    Last edited by Jupac; 09-06-2005 at 03:50 PM.

Heh, yeah, it's pretty useless so I dunno why I've still got it. The Arctic Cooler is so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by
    Ediit: Also, I forgot to mention, the monitor can take several different inputs, VGA, DVI, S-Video and composite, it also has 2 USB sockets on it, so if I wanted to I could actually use this monitor as a KVM switch. That's cool.
    My HP can take that. And more than 2 usb ports. Friends HP has 15 usb ports and 10 avalable Head phone jacks (in total on speakers etc.) if u should feel the urge 2 put on 10 headphones...

My graphics card has S-video and composite outputs. I really want to plug it up to my TV for DVD viewing, and just cuz it'd be REALLY cool. I could watch the iTunes visualization all day on that TV.

My Video card supports HDTV ^_^

Hdtv

I think all graphics cards support HDTV (DVI). I have a DVI-to-VGA addapter in my ATI Redeon 9800 running out to my secondry monitor and some TVs have VGA sockets on them these days. I also have a freeview card so when it gets a good signal u get MPeg2 level viewing my poor TV will not be used again (superseeded).

Quote Originally Posted by David Harrison
    I took some pictures and uploaded them as a zip to here.

Some of them are really bluured, that's because apparently you have to wait for the green light to come back on before you move, I did not know this, I just clicked and moved on.

It was kinda bright, but I took pics with and without flash, the ones with flash are less blurred but the screens look a lot duller.

Now you can all see, EVEN when it's blurred, it looks sweet.
    Why in God's name did you leave that sticker on the LCD Monitor? AH!

OMG, I've been looking through notebooks lately, and the HP small notebook model is AMAZING!

You can get an upgraded 14" screen, 1.86 GHZ Pentium M with 533(Thats right)mhz fsb, 1 gig ram, cd-rw/dvd, and lots of other goodies! Plus it visually looks amazing! Yummy! All for like $1100!

Thread Information