www.webdeveloper.com

View Poll Results: What company manufactures a superior computer? Dell or HP?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dell

38 46.91%
  • HP

43 53.09%
Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: The real Hp Vs. Dell battle

Uhhh... :)

Hi guys... I've been reading this thread and I got to page 10... and my eyes started hurting XD. Sooo... I am getting an HP or a Dell for christmas, I just haven't decided which yet... I am debating between a HP Pavilion dv9000t, or a Dell Inspiron 1505, and I really can't decide! I have been thinking about it, and I am pretty sure both of them will work for me, but I don't know. The HP looks a lot more professional.

My boyfriend has a Dell and he had to send it back the day he got it because the hard drive got fried, and after he got it back, then they had to replace it because something else went wrong... that kinda sends a bad vibe to me... I am leaning towards the HP, but I don't know.

*jumps from shadows*
    *brushes off cobwebs*
    Awwww you didn't even get to 20 :P
    I would go to HP... I havn't heard much problems with HP gear, (I have with Dell though)
    Also you say it looks more professional, if you like the look of your computer you will be less likely to put a hammer though it when the net goes down or something
    To put it into a sentance, Go HP they look better, more stable, better customer support (from what I have heard) If you do go towards HP (or Dell) post back here how you are getting along

Hope that Helps

FLAMING IS NOT TOLERATED IN THIS FORUM
    Dont Worry Most people have posted in this site and gone on to lead perfectly normal lifes

It probably doesn't really matter. My company now has around 40 Dells and only 3 HPs so you can probably guess which we like better.

With HP, 2 of the 3 have had problems and customer support was a huge pain. They were hard to understand on the phone and hard to convince of what the problem was along with slow to get a replacement to us.

With Dell, we have had trouble with 2 of them that I can remember off the top of my head. Once it was a cd drive and the other time a new computer didn't work upon arrival. In both cases, I had a replacement very quickly. In the case of the cd, the new part was on my desk in less than 24 hours. On the down side, customer support was still hard to understand in English. One good thing, when I told them what my job was, they didn't make me run many stupid tests again - they took my word for it that I'd already tried several things.

Bottom line, I'd go with which ever one was the cheapest for the same performance. If looks is important to you, go with the prettiest one, unless the cost is so much more that it is ugly.
    Jon

*pops head out of hole*
    Yeah, even i have to say that HP custermor support isn't that great (better than Dells) yet still needs impoving.
    Download Spybot from www.safer-networking.org to get the ultimate in free spyware removal.

Dont Worry Most people have posted in this site and gone on to lead perfectly normal lifes

Well hopefully I wont need the customer support lol... *knocks on wood*

It lives! My monster lives!

Oy Vey, I never thought I'd see this thread again
    There is no doubt its resurrection will be unnoticed *peers over shoulder*

Well, here's my take on it.
    In the time that this thread has been lost to the torrents of time, Dell and HP have been at each other's throats (as usual).

Both have improved, but I still believe that HP comes out on top. Both vendors' laptops have improved in design, although dell laptops look like folding silver bricks. HP laptops are very streamlined. The 9000t model is their best laptop, and should work well. I just looked at the Inspiron 1505. It starts you out with a 1.6 dual 2 core processor (intel) and the 9000t starts you out with a 1.73 dual core processor (also intel), a 256mb graphics card and a dvd burner. Still, thats just my brand loyalty talking. (aren't I just a lovely loyal servent?)

I've never had problems with an HP, hardware or software. Just remember to use all the good anti-virus and spyware scanners to keep the system clean.
    Besides, Dell bought alienware and HP supports linux!

==edit==

And don't forget to vote for HP in the poll!
    Last edited by Sunny G; 11-21-2006 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Vote for HP!
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *
    *||__ , * * * * * * * * (o)>
    \___/ * * * *\___/ * * * * * * *___//
    iiiiLLiiiiiiiiiiiiiii_/_|iiiiiiiiiii~~~~~~ \___/~~~~~~~~~

*Gives HP vs Dell a Medikit*

lol I forgot all about this forum till i got a email saying that Dell vs HP had another post in it (now im addicted again XD )
    Dell has improved in that it is supporting AMD's now... (to bad that intel pwns amd with the Core2 Duo )
    Dell (and alienware) Have been part in a debate on trying to rig reviews as well :'(
    I dont have the link here.. I will edit it in later. (on slashdot i think)
    HP have gotten better batteries for their laptops now as well (compaired to Dell) and/or better power management acording to my test with some equally priced Laptops and battermark :-)
    HP came out top by about 1.5 hours

Vote HP for leader of Poll!
    Download Spybot from www.safer-networking.org to get the ultimate in free spyware removal.

Wow, this poll really is surviving forever. I hope that because I registered specially for this poll and I voted for HP it will get everybody to come back!

I voted for HP. I won't bother to type my opinion until somebody replies to this post so I know that people are listening. Thanks all!

I thought this thread was finally dead and buried.

Update since last post. Only 1 working (barely) HP left in the company. No calls to Dell tech support since last post. Just to be fair, we did lose two Dells, and another computer due to a horrible lightning storm. Unfortunately, they were way beyond any warranty, so replaced them with newer models that were cheaper than buying replacement parts.
    Jon

Sorry about that... this thread can go a lot longer in my opinion.

What about tech support?!

Everybody's always talking about parts and performance but support matters too. Only briefly was it mentioned.

Somebody mentioned that they could hardly understand what an HP support person was saying over the phone. I just do a live internet chat with them and it's always great; never any waiting and they're always helpful. They have American names like Victoria (the last one I talked to), Craig, Shawn... whereas when I go to Dell about the family desktop I get Rameshwar, Vandana... and one time Vandana called me. Ooh, that's a long story.

What does everybody else think?

Yes, but:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/19/technology/19compute.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
    Dell remained the No. 1 PC vendor in its home market with 26.8 percent of shipments
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

Question Tech support for HP and Dell?

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    Great article. Anybody have more stories on tech support between HP and Dell?

Just to say something further about support... Yes, I'm bringing the thread back out from the basement but I have an interesting thing.
    When I was away on vacation, in fact this happened right after I registered for Webdeveloper.com, I accidentally pulled the down arrow key out of my keyboard. I had forgotten about it for a while and I was with HP support for something else. I told them of the problem and they said I'd have to send it in for a repair. I asked how that worked. So what they do is send a box with all the necessary materials, including a roll of tape to seal it, and I send it to HP. They get it and evaluate it and repair it. It gets back to me in 5-7 business days. The rep gave me no pain about my accidental damage. That's what my extended warranty was for. They didn't ask for a warranty code or anything; just the serial and product numbers. And I wouldn't be charged for a thing, even for the shipping of the box out of my house with my computer in it. so I said go ahead on Wednesday evening and the box came some time today (today's Friday May fourth, 2007 if nobody looks at this thread ever again...) and I'll keep updating as the process of getting my computer repaired goes. Is it this easy for Dell?! I highly doubt it. People from Dell are extremely stubborn and merciless.

Read my post from way back before this thread died, until you brought it back to life (Does that make it a zombie?) Actually, here is a short repeat.

CDRom died I think on a Tuesday morning. I called Dell sometime after lunch. Got off the phone sometime after 2:00PM. We spent some time on the phone checking jumpers and cables since I told them I was comfortable doing that. We determined that they would need to see the drive. A new drive was mailed to me and on my desk by 11:00 AM the next day. I was told to use the box it came in to mail the old one back.

Similar problem with HP. The AC adapter for a laptop died. Took no computer skill to determine that it was dead. Anyone that uses any electronic item with a rechargable battery could quickly determine this. It took more than one call and hours to get them to agree. Also took several days to receive new part, probably only the 5-7 business days you mentioned, but I seem to remember it taking longer.
    Jon

Thread Information