www.webdeveloper.com

View Poll Results: What company manufactures a superior computer? Dell or HP?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dell

38 46.91%
  • HP

43 53.09%
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: The real Hp Vs. Dell battle

Obviously the threads were merged. The old thread's posts come first followed by the newer thread that wasn't really necessary. The combined thread uses the name of the newer one. This does make the link I posted in the new thread to the old one even more useless than the thread itself. lol
    Jon

I'm going to compare HP's smallest laptop to Dell's smallest laptop.

HP standard specs:

Windows Vista Business
    Intel® Core2 Duo Processor U7600 (1.20 GHz, 533 MHz, 2 MB L2 cache)
    12.1 inch diagonal Illumi-Lite, WXGA, anti-glare (1280 × 800)
    1 gigabyte RAM, 667 MHz
    60 GB 4,200 RPM PATA hard drive
    DVD-rom drive
    6 cell battery
    Up to 12 hours of battery life (I guess with a 9-cell battery)
    Weighs 2.8 pounds

All for 1,782 US $

That's the HP Compaq 2510p Notebook PC.

Now, for the Dell:

Windows XP Home
    Intel Core2 Duo Processor ULV U7600 (1.20GHz, 533Mhz)
    1 GB RAM
    40 GB, 4,200 RPM hard drive
    CD drive is external - different types of external available
    3 pounds
    6 cell battery - Up to 5 hours of battery life

1,199 US $

Dell Latitude D430

I got both these prices and stats by selecting "Configure", and then looking at the option that is set default, and then looked at the price there.

So.... HP, 12 hours battery life, Dell 5 hours... HP 60 GB hard drive, Dell 40 GB hard drive.... HP, integrated DVD drive, with the option of NO integrated DVD drive to decrease weight... Dell, no integrated DVD drive at all... HP, about 600 $ more than Dell...

I'd go with HP. Definitely.

Let me see, where to begin.

First of all, using your numbers, $600 will more than cover the differences.

Second,
    Quote Originally Posted by EricG1793
    I'm going to compare HP's smallest laptop to Dell's smallest laptop.
    A quick check at Dell reveals 2 for much less than your quote. To be fair, a quick look at HP currently shows an ad for a laptop priced at $4.49, which is $200 off. Even before the sale, much lower priced than your chosen smallest.

Third, as I've said before, if you really want to be guaranteed a good computer, buy neither. If you want something cheap that will probably be good enough, buy whichever one has the best deal at the time.
    Jon

Smallest in size, not price. I'm sorry; I didn't make that clear. But normally, if I was talking about price, I'd say "cheapest", or outright "smallest in price".

But, if you want to talk the difference between Dell, HP, and custom-made, go somewhere else, because this is specifically HP and Dell (did you even read the title?!).

Eric, this forum is about helping people. In a thread with a question about doing something such as designing their site with tables rather than css, the usual response is to let them know the answer to any specific answer asked, but to let them know that there is a much better way. Same applies here.

As far as smallest, my bad, comes from reading my email first thing after waking up after a long night. Still, the differences don't add up to a $600 difference. I personally wouldn't be interested in the absolute smallest, preferring a larger screen.

On a final note, never mind, I'll send a pm, it would be more professional.
    Last edited by wamboid; 12-29-2007 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Second thoughts
    Jon

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been deleted or closed; or rather, that I haven't been lynched for creating it. Instead, it's been merged. Apparently, it still has some worth.

Well, if anything, on campus I see more HP laptops and Macbooks than anything else.

Someone please, close this thread!!!
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *
    *||__ , * * * * * * * * (o)>
    \___/ * * * *\___/ * * * * * * *___//
    iiiiLLiiiiiiiiiiiiiii_/_|iiiiiiiiiii~~~~~~ \___/~~~~~~~~~

As silly as I've thought the majority of this thread has been, it does actually have some good info in it, between groaning about how poorly the voting is going when certain peoples side isn't winning, some people complaining when others disagree with them, and it was even used as a plain old chat room for quite a while. At that point, it probably did need to be closed.

But, since then, and as recently as last week from Eric, some good info has actually been occasionally put out. If the thread were to close and the companies had major changes in the months ahead, someone would be tempted to open a new thread, which would be wrong to do(hence the previous merging of threads). So Sunny, you created this monster, you should learn to live with it. lol
    Jon

The thread has its ups and downs. But overall... it's valuable. It SHOULD stay, for the reason exactly as wamboid said. Maybe in a few years I'll come to loathe HP... *Shudders at the thought* But as of right now, I still loathe Dell.

And I apologize for the medium amount of clashing I had with you, wamboid; from now on, we'll get back to HP and Dell, and then the topic will really be worth something, and it'll be even more valuable than it already is to these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by wamboid
    ...between groaning about how poorly the voting is going when certain peoples side isn't winning, some people complaining when others disagree with them....
    The groaning about the sides of the voting is a good thing; that's the purpose of the thread! (Not that I'm trying to contradict what you're saying)

I was referring mostly to stuff like this:
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
    !$@%$*$$^$%*%*(^&^#@^$
    Dell got another vote!
    I'm just going to type madly without correcting my mistakes.
    I cant believe Dell is in the lead! R9ght whe n HP gers close Dell gets another bote!
    Poo.
    Didn't really add anything to the thread one way or another and was quite common. I think what I'm really getting at is that much of the thread really belonged in the Coffee Lounge, probably including this post.

Since I'm already here, Eric, I can't remember what message I sent you the other day. I was irritated before logging on, so if it was nasty, just ignore it. If I forgot to send it or it wasn't particularly bad, think of something nasty and then ignore that. lol
    Jon

I have to say my vote is with HP.

I am a IT Manager at a school, have been for several years now. So I see computers come and go. HP have definitely been more reliable. The main thing that REALLY annoys me about Dell is their friggen hidden partition that causes so may disk cloning issues it's not funny.

HP have great support, and great printers too. Dell printers suck and are way over priced.

This thread is now two cents richer.

Almost totally agreed about the printers. Not my choice, but our company got on a kick of buying Dell printers that I've always said were total junk. One notable exception has been the 1700 series laser printers. Don't know how they actually managed to get one right. They were even much cheaper than anything comparable when we bought them.

As far as the other issues bathurst_guy mentions, I'm really starting to think that it just depends on whether you catch either company at the wrong time or not, as I've had the exact issues with the opposite companies.

I am currently having nightmares with our latest Dell purchases, although it is more of a Vista nightmare than Dell. Again, it wasn't my idea to make this upgrade.
    Jon

all vendors are BAD, build your own.

If I had no choice, from experience...would go with HP hands down. I can't even count how many Dells ive worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by wamboid
    Almost totally agreed about the printers. Not my choice, but our company got on a kick of buying Dell printers that I've always said were total junk. One notable exception has been the 1700 series laser printers. Don't know how they actually managed to get one right. They were even much cheaper than anything comparable when we bought them.

As far as the other issues bathurst_guy mentions, I'm really starting to think that it just depends on whether you catch either company at the wrong time or not, as I've had the exact issues with the opposite companies.

I am currently having nightmares with our latest Dell purchases, although it is more of a Vista nightmare than Dell. Again, it wasn't my idea to make this upgrade.

The 1700 series printers ARE amazing, however, they are Xerox printers with dell's logo on them.

Most major companies like this, dont make their own printers, so you guys are blaming the wrong people.

I must say though, we recently purchased 50 new computers, 20 were Macs and 30 were from an Australian owed company and the computers were made in Australia and the support is with Australians (no indian twat). The company is Olympia for those Aussies who are interested. They matched Dells quote and I have had no problems with them.

Xerox make perfect printers and copiers. I haven't used the 1700.

Most major companies like this, dont make their own printers, so you guys are blaming the wrong people.
    Yes, they are just another companies printers with their name on them, but no, we aren't blaming the wrong people. We bought the junk printers from Dell, not any other company. If I put my name on a product that I happen to have paid someone else to make for me, I expect you to blame me.
    Jon

Thread Information