www.webdeveloper.com

View Poll Results: What company manufactures a superior computer? Dell or HP?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dell

38 46.91%
  • HP

43 53.09%
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The real Hp Vs. Dell battle

How could u like a dell!!!
    Download Spybot from www.safer-networking.org to get the ultimate in free spyware removal.

FLAMING IS NOT TOLERATED IN THIS FORUM
    Dont Worry Most people have posted in this site and gone on to lead perfectly normal lifes

I dont like dells, i like My own work =). But dell > hp Dell gives you less **** then hp does

How could anyone like a Dell?
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *
    *||__ , * * * * * * * * (o)>
    \___/ * * * *\___/ * * * * * * *___//
    iiiiLLiiiiiiiiiiiiiii_/_|iiiiiiiiiii~~~~~~ \___/~~~~~~~~~

Dells break more than Hp and that is a <bold>big feat.!!!</bold>
    Download Spybot from www.safer-networking.org to get the ultimate in free spyware removal.

Dont Worry Most people have posted in this site and gone on to lead perfectly normal lifes

Neither company has a particular strong point... both have weak points. You lose either way, there is no winner out of two losers.

I don't see Dell making:
    -Scanners/printers
    -Cameras
    -Hi-Tech TVs
    -Projectors
    -ETC
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *

Dell PCs are pretty good, I've had 2, but the company itself has gone straight into the sewer, from my recent experience with 'em.

Yeah..... I also feel that on HP.com, when you customize a computer, there are more things that you can get that are not just disk drives! Check it out sometime!
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *

Does the fact that HP makes printers cameras, scanners, etc, make them not suck? No... it just means they suck in many areas. Let me share my experience with an hp printer.

We got an hp all in one, the hp pcs 950. It was very popular at the time and when we got it it was wonderful for a bit. But then we had a few problems with it being... broken. We contact an hp rep only to find out that we did not have the hp 950. What had happened was we had the shell of the 950 but a whole different model was underneith those face plates. A model that was not released in the states and would not be able to be fixed by an hp repair dude if it broke (and of course if you just try to take it somewhere it is going to void the warantee or something... it is a damned if you do damned if you don't thing I guess). The hp people were not even cooperating and we looked around and found several others in the same situation and then hp finally got us the proper hardware when we contacted them as a group. If they didn't cooperate we would have probably contacted attorneys about a class action suit because we managed to find a good 20 people who ran into the problem... we didn't look hard either. Evidently someone made a dishonest decision to put the inferior printer in the casing of the one that was on backorder in order to increase the apparent supply.

I know this is one incident and every company has some issues here and there... but I just wanted to share one of my personal experiences with hp.

I am not saying dell is better than hp... I am just saying that hp sucks. Dell sucks too though, don't get me wrong. I maintain that both suck.
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 06-18-2005 at 03:53 AM.

OK PeOfEo. You say they both bite. I'd like you to say which areas they both are weak in, and which areas they are "stronger" in. Also, vote on the poll I put into this thread. Thankyou.
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *

I voted for HP but My HP printer broke once a plastic bit broke off and Srewed the paper Hp computers are better than Dell but HP printers Scanners .etc suck

Hp
    Cons: They use crappy hardware. They look for lots of ways to keep their systems base. For example they use something called an audio riser that boosts power out from their onboard sound to the speakers so they can get away with giving you cruddy unpowered speakers. They are also quite fond of using onboard anything. The components that they do not make are often from cruddy companies. I have seen them use some pretty crappy power supplies and a decent power supply is very important if you want your pc to last for any length of time. I am not very fond of their business practices either, I know some former employees that were either victims of layoffs they had there some years ago or quit on their end because they were fed up with the place. One of them was a programmer for them the other was on of their misc technitions that did a lot of their training (he was the one who had to train their future indian tech support teams).

Pros: Their high end laptops and digital cameras seem to be decent.

Dell
    Cons: They will cut corners and short change you just like hp, only not as much so I will put this for a pro too, but I will word it differently. Their tech support sucks... I have talked to united states tech support workers in person and they seem to be on the ball but they have to work tandom with the indian departments and those indians are a pain in the butt to deal with. It is like pulling teeth to work with them... they assume every customer is an idiot and they read from a script and really do not seem to know what they are doing themselves... atleast this is what I have gathered from my experience with their tech support. From what I have heard it is only getting worse.

Pros:I like their construction. The way they have their systems setup. Working on a dell is usually very easy because of how their systems open and how they snap together. As for the parts, like I said before, they short change you... but atleast they are not as onboard happy as hp. They will give you a video card atleast (but it is a pos gefore2 or something most of the time... but that is slightly better than onboard). Also I have seen plenty of dell systems with an actual sound card instead of onboard. They tend to ship them with those harman/kardon speakers and I have a pair of those myself... those are pretty pimp, amazing sound quality. They also seem to make decent high end laptops.

But as far as pc quality vs. Price, both suck completely. They both mark the prices up quite a bit, the cost of the parts is substantially lower than the price of the system. Buying from a smaller vendor, maybe a local store that makes their systems, or building it yourself is a far superior rout.

As for who sucks less: Probably dell... but they still suck.

PeOfEo, your post is the exact thing I have been waiting to see! That totally makes my day!
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *

Yes It is good to see you on the topic

For once....

I've had only two people vote on the poll! Vote people, VOTE!
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *

Thread Information