www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: PHP newbie

PHP newbie

Hey I'm a php newbie and I have a question about it. When I want to make a site where users can register for an account and also be able to login, how/where do I store the database of users? Is it inside mySQL?

You would store the information in a table within a database that is hosted on a MySQL server.

There are lots of tutorials on PHP & MySQL, I would start by looking at the tutorials "Learn SQL" and "Learn PHP" at www.w3schools.com.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCoder
    You would store the information in a table within a database that is hosted on a MySQL server.

There are lots of tutorials on PHP & MySQL, I would start by looking at the tutorials "Learn SQL" and "Learn PHP" at www.w3schools.com.

All the tutorials I've been to start telling me about variables. Exactly how many variables are there for php? It confuses me when the tutorial just says $txt out of nowhere, I mean is $txt the same as $text? For a beginner, this is really confusing!

Variables are used to store information, you can name them whatever you wish as long as it is a valid name.

PHP Code:
    <?php

$text 
    "My Text";

echo 
    $text;

?>
    The above code assigns the value of "My Text" to a variable called 'text' and then outputs the value stored in 'text' to the client via the echo function.

'text' could be anything, it is just a friendly way of storing data.

Read more about variables here
    Last edited by MrCoder; 07-24-2007 at 06:44 AM.

Thread Information