www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: childNodes in Firefox vs IE

childNodes in Firefox vs IE

I have the following Javascript method. (DataGrid_ID turns out to be the id of an HTML table that contains the data.) It is working in IE 7, but not Firefox. Firefox tells me "myrows[i].childNodes[0].childNodes[0] has no properties".

Code:
     function ChangeAllStatusImages(Status, DataGrid_ID) {    
           hiddenActionElementExpression = new RegExp("hiddenAction");        
            var mytable     = document.getElementById(DataGrid_ID);        
            var mytablebody = mytable.getElementsByTagName("tbody")[0];        
            var myrows      = mytablebody.getElementsByTagName("tr");        

// skip first row
            for(i=1; i < myrows.length;i++) {                              
                hiddenelm = myrows[i].childNodes[0].childNodes[0].childNodes[1];                        

var imageid = hiddenelm.id.replace("hiddenAction", "imgKeepRemove");
                elm = document.getElementById(imageid);

if (Status == "keep")
                {                    
                   elm.src = imgKeep.src;
                }
                else
                {                    
                   elm.src = imgRemove.src;
                }               

hiddenelm.value = Status;                 
                elm.title = "Access currently flagged " + Status + ". Click to change.";
            }
        }
    Any ideas?

Thanks.

IE and Moz count the childNodes in a HTML document in different ways. Moz counts every empty space (possible textNodes) as a childNode, while IE counts only some of them. There are several solutions for that:

http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/sh...php?t=120202#2

Inside my 'for loop' i changed it to:

Code:
    hiddenelm = myrows[i].getElementsByTagName("td").getElementsByTagName("DIV").getElementsByTagName("input");
    Now FF says "myrows[i].getElementsByTagName("td").getElementsByTagName is not a function".

OK, i figured it out.

It should be
    Code:
    hiddenelm = myrows[i].getElementsByTagName("td")[0].getElementsByTagName("DIV")[0].getElementsByTagName("input")[0];
    Thanks for the help!

ok. I had imagined that you knew already that the getElementsByTagName() method returns a collection, not a single element, thus you need an index to point out one of them.

Firefox / internet does not work but internet connection is excellent? I use firefox and some nights at 12:00 exactly or 12:30 exactly, firefox stops working and does not load a page. The internet connection is perfectly fine though because it says excellent. I am connected to a home router and the signal strength is always excellent. I do not know why this happens at exactly 12:00 or 12:30 on my desktop time but it's a pain. I've tried "ping"ing and everything looks fine.
    Last edited by sarenax; 06-10-2009 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarenax View Post
    Firefox / internet does not work but internet connection is excellent? I use firefox and some nights at 12:00 exactly or 12:30 exactly, firefox stops working and does not load a page. The internet connection is perfectly fine though because it says excellent. I am connected to a home router and the signal strength is always excellent. I do not know why this happens at exactly 12:00 or 12:30 on my desktop time but it's a pain. I've tried "ping"ing and everything looks fine.
    Hey, your post has nothing to do with this thread. Open a new thread in a proper Forum, and post your problem there. Moreover, try to detail your problem. As it is now, no one can give you a proper answer. Check your PC for viruses.

Thread Information