dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: password protected page

password protected page

I am currently working on a website for a volunteer ambulance corp. I am using Dreamweaver. I need a members only page that is password protected so only squad members can enter to retrieve sensitive material.
    Does anyone know a really good but easy script that I can use? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Web servers can password protect directories

Server side languages such as PHP can password protect pages effectively.

The only way to do it with JavaScript is to use a secure two way encryption with the password as the keyto use for the decryption. Any alternative that uses JavaScript relies on obscuring the address of the page to be "protected" or can be easily bypassed by viewing the source. See http://javascript.about.com/library/blencrypt.htm for a compressed copy of the Rijndael encryption algorithm which can be used to encrypt the content with JavaScript.

What I am trying to do is when someone clicks on a link/button to a members only page, the page opens with just a place to post your password. If correct password is entered then it brings you to a page with links to members only pages.

What is the best way to achieve this? It doesnt have to be javascript. It just has to be compatible with Dreamweaver.

You should definitely use a server-side langauge for security issues in my opinion.

Password protect

Quote Originally Posted by Dok
    You should definitely use a server-side langauge for security issues in my opinion.

Not sure what that is. Can you give me something I can cut and paste onto my web page?

server side languages come in all varieties. however, the precursor to using a server side language is determining what your host supports. for example, commonly used server side languages are:

- php
    - asp
    - coldfusion

what server side means essentially is that code is run on the server (therefore invisible to the client) which can perform special actions that the client (generally) cannot interfere with.

so in the case of password protection, the client sends the server info, and the server checks it behind the scenes with no way for the client to try and peek to see whats going on. then the server does something (deny/allow) based on the information the client sent.

javascript is client side, so the client can always hack or monitor (if they choose to do do) the scripts being run...

so once you find out IF your host supports a server side language, then you go to the appropriate form and post your question there. they can then give you the code that youd "paste into a webpage".

Quote Originally Posted by aaron.martinas
    server side languages come in all varieties. however, the precursor to using a server side language is determining what your host supports. for example, commonly used server side languages are:

- php
    - asp
    - coldfusion

what server side means essentially is that code is run on the server (therefore invisible to the client) which can perform special actions that the client (generally) cannot interfere with.

so in the case of password protection, the client sends the server info, and the server checks it behind the scenes with no way for the client to try and peek to see whats going on. then the server does something (deny/allow) based on the information the client sent.

javascript is client side, so the client can always hack or monitor (if they choose to do do) the scripts being run...

so once you find out IF your host supports a server side language, then you go to the appropriate form and post your question there. they can then give you the code that youd "paste into a webpage".
    Thanks

Thread Information