www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Creating a login

Creating a login

so i run a webpage on the side, nuttin real big...but i want to be able to create a user name and password appliation where certain people can just log into the website and view certain files...and i have no clue where to start

Quote Originally Posted by rtbball
    so i run a webpage on the side, nuttin real big...but i want to be able to create a user name and password appliation where certain people can just log into the website and view certain files...and i have no clue where to start
    Many web hosts allow you to create a password protected section of your site through a control panel. Check your documentation to see if that is available. If it isn't you need to be able to use a .htaccess file (on unix/linux servers )

If neither of those options is available you need a better web server company.

Doing this with flat HTML isn't possible, Javascript you can but the security will be very very weak!

Anyways, if your server is Apache, then most likely you will be able to use .htaccess.

Here's one you can use with Apache: http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess3.shtml

Here's another one if you are on IIS: http://www.troxo.com/products/iispassword/

I recommend do a search in www.hotscripts.com, under Javascript or PHP section. Note, to run PHP scripts your server must have it installed.

No one may like this one, but it is a quick and easy setup tool:

Bravenet Password Protect

Ron

Thread Information