dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: what the urchin.js is?

what the urchin.js is?

hi!
    when i downloaded the .aspx pages the uchin.js file is dwnloaded. actually what is this urchin.js? why the developers use this urchin.js?
    thanks in advance!

A quick search turns up:
    Webmasters will increasingly use Google Analytics (formerly, Urchin) to determine how many people are visiting their sites, where they are coming from and what they're clicking on. There are certainly good times for the website owners.

The UTM is the Google Analytics Traffic Monitor - proprietary Google Analytics Tracking Code (urchin.js), which is installed on a web page for the purpose of collecting Customer Data, whereby unique visitors can be accurately tracked using a combination of server and client-side technology including cookies.
    54 68 65 42 65 61 72 4D 61 79

That is a little unsettling for yours truly... 'tracking cookies'? Aren't tracking cookies supposed to be non-gratia from a web-security standpoint? Why go to the trouble of having cookie-cullers and anti-malware software and anonymisers and IP-proxys to keep the quasi-paranoid web surfer 'safe', and then invite (even if from a 'trusted site') more 'tracking software' to track online movements? -I can already hear the ubiquitous reply of "...to enhance customer online experience" is that oh-so microsoft-toned voice...

Seriously, -I am just curious the advantages here of having a google tracking system.. I see that many sites are using "urchin.js". -Why?

Knowledge is power....
    54 68 65 42 65 61 72 4D 61 79

That is a little unsettling for yours truly... 'tracking cookies'? Aren't tracking cookies supposed to be non-gratia from a web-security standpoint?
    Cookies have been around in web development for years. Most e-commerce sites use them to track customer habits. This really shouldn't be all that upsetting. The whole issue of web security is a bit misleading...as long as you accept cookies from sites that are reputable you won't have a problem. This is similar to the stupid argument that JavaScript presents security issues. If this were the case, 95% of the websites today are breaking web security protocols.

Seriously, -I am just curious the advantages here of having a google tracking system.. I see that many sites are using "urchin.js". -Why?
    I can think of several reasons:

• Perhaps you want to know what geographic location your visitors are coming from.
    • Perhaps you want to know users on different network connection speeds to determine the right application technologies for the job
    • Perhaps you want to know how many people are hitting (requesting) a certain page
    • Perhaps you want to know the bounce rate for a particular page, which may lead to a re-design or revised content
    • Perhaps you want to know what browser flavors your visitors are using

Probably the most important...Google Analytics is free. The actual UTM is part of the commercial solution which also kicks...I'm currently using it on my employer's website.

Thread Information