dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Dynamic detail region to display html string as html

Hybrid View

Question Dynamic detail region to display html string as html

Hi -

I'm using Dreamweaver CS3 and am attempting to display html formatted data from a mysql database that I've generated to display in my document as html text. I can display the html text as html text (i.e. text with the html tags), but I want to display the text as html (a h1 gets the h1 formatting, etc.).

I've tried using javascript to do a document write, php to just echo it, not sure about what the best approach would be. Any guidance would be much appreciated! Thanks!

I'd personally use PHP to echo it, that way if JavaScript is disabled, then the text formatting would still work.

php echo w/ a spry detail section?

Thanks for responding. I'm using spry master/detail regions to get a list of items in a master table from a mysql database and then want to be able to use a div in the detail region to to display the formatted html text. Right now, it's working - I can click on my list of things and the associated html code pops up in the div - BUT, it's popping up with all the html h1, bold, etc., etc.. tags and I want it to just display the text..

In another section of the site, I'm using xinha, an WYSIWYG simple editor so that my users can generate formatted HTML that I'm going to display in a dynamic page. I store their entries in a mysql database that I want to now display in 2 places, one a browser for the administration of these things (that's why I have the spry master/detail thing going) so someone can see all the entries and edit/delete them; and the other will be just a generated page outputting the html entries as they are stored.

For the spry detail page, I've tried a number of things, including,
    <?php echo "{dsList::detail}" ?>
    but that's just giving me the html, like I get when I don't bother with the php echo, ie just have {dsList::detail} in the div. Do you have any ideas of some way to do this? I would really appreciate them!

Thanks again.

ps - If I don't include the quotes on my echo statement, I get a parse error...
    Last edited by devWEB; 08-27-2007 at 05:09 PM.

Never worked with Spry's in CS3. I hear they are a blast though.

good & bad

Kidding - it was pretty straightforward getting the master/detail spry going (I used the developer toolbox xml export) with a tutorial they have on adobe...

I posted a message there (adobe php app developement) under a thread that someone started having the same problem, so hopefully something will come up. In the other page I generate, I'm going to just echo the records - hopefully I won't run into this problem w/ that - I expect to just run though the recordset I hope! I should probably try a test on that one before I say anything

Thanks again for responding though. Try a spry! They are a bit of fun.

Thread Information