dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Displaying results that have a space

Displaying results that have a space

Hi there,

Wondered if anyone could help, this may be more php side than SQL, im not sure, it involves them both.

I have an SQL querie that is used to delete records from a database, it is as follows:

Code:
    DELETE FROM categories WHERE category=$category
    The $category is generated from a drop down box (select/option in a HTML form) which is populated by a DISTINCT(category) statement.

Now the only problem I have is that there is a record in the database called 'Plumbing & Heating' and when this record is selected the SQL statement trys to delete all records where the category=Plumbing and not the full Plumbing & Heating.

Anyone else come across this problem and been able to resolve it?

Thanks

Any non-numeric literal value must be quoted within SQL:
    PHP Code:
    $query "DELETE FROM categories WHERE category='$category'"
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

Hi there,

Sorry, that was just me rushing to write this before I went to bed, the code is exactly as follows:

Code:
    	$sqlquery = "DELETE FROM manufacturers WHERE manufacturer='$removemanufacturer'";
    But as mentioned, when $removemanufacturer result has a space (eg. Norwich Union) The SQL is looking to remove 'Norwich'

Any ideas?

Is the variable coming from a HTML form? If so, make sure you quoted the value in the form element, or it will ignore everything after the space.
    Code:
    <input type="text" name="foobar" value="<?php echo $value; ?>">
    It's best to just get in the habit of quoting all HTML element attribute values, as it is required for properly formatted XML and XHTML.
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

Thread Information