www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Frontpage adding when updating

Frontpage adding when updating

Frontpage recently started adding a whenever I update my homepage. It seems to add them before copyright symbols and an occasional period. The problem appears to only occur with my homepage - the other pages update fine. The problem may have started when I changed the page's character encoding (currently set to utf-8 ). The s show up in both in Frontpage's design screen and online.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I don't work with FP, but I'd be willing to wager money it's your character set. Double check it to make sure it's:

Code:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    Ryan Butler

Ryan Butler.org

Thanks Ryan. I'm sure your money is safe.

The trouble is that I use Feed Digest to include the current post from a Blogger blog as a news item on my homepage: http://gocolumbia.edu/library/Default.htm Blogger uses UTF-8 encoding, which means if I use iso-8859-1 then some characters on the blog won't display correctly when rendered on the homepage. This was a big hassle that caused me to change the character set (on the homepage) in the first place. Now everything works fine except I have to remove these annoying s whenever I update the page. Still, this is preferable to having unreadable characters populating the news items.

With that said, is there something I could do to address both problems?

One answer might be to use something better than FP, but this is what I've been given and I'm not savvy enough author all of the things I want freehand.

I guess I don't understand why the blogger is using a different character set in the first place?
    Ryan Butler

Ryan Butler.org

Easiest Thing I could Think Of

What I would do if you tired of fooling around with this problem is try uninstalling Frontpage then restarting then Installing frontpage all over again. The reason is I have a strange feeling that if you just go to detect and repair the problem won't be found so go ahead and try that.

Thread Information