dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Friend wants to manage content, best approach?

Friend wants to manage content, best approach?

I have a friend who purchased a template from some online site, and he's looking to me to figure out how to manage the content without having to wade through HTML files. My first thought was to make a set of text files which I could call with SSI, but as I was laying out a plan for going about that today, I realized that would be a fair number of files.

I was thinking that a better approach would be to use Joomla, or some CMS like that, but I've never implemented a CMS before, though I have used a few existing setups in the past. How hard would it be to take an existing template and integrate it into Joomla? Where should I start?

The template he gave me is a nested table layout, which is a tad frustrating to work with, but I'll work with what I've got. Would that cause problems trying to get it running with Joomla?

Thanks for your help.

oh you are in a whole world of hurt...

1. Not often do you hear about these template sites being used here... I could only begin to guess why... they are incredibly hard to use. They're a great source for what do to on layouts and look and feel but that's where you should leave them. Personally. (not that were above template sites they're just not easy to use, I feel.)

2. you have someone who what's to manage their own site... I say Bravo! the CMS you'll use will depend on the size, subject and type of site it is.

3. does the site where the template come from have that template style available in the format or program your thinking of using? If so you could ask for exchange.

SO I'm going to agree a CMS is going to be easier for him/her to manage on their own. Joomla is a good choice, simply because there is a HUGE community of templates ready to configure to your needs. You could find something similar base colors and then toss your custom graphics from the other template and you should be good to go!

I very much appreciate the input. I'll show you what he's given me to work with, maybe that will help you know what I'm up against:

http://www.josiahkiehl.com/test/btatemplate/html/

He got it from: http://www.4templates.com/view/searc...GSQ/5/VA0098BR

Anyone want to play "I spy a joomla template?"

(Seriously, if anyone finds a joomla template that I can match this layout to closely, I will be GREATLY appreciative.)
    Last edited by Ferret; 09-24-2007 at 12:40 AM.

I did some more searching, and found a wonderful tutorial on how to set up a Joomla template. I'm going to give it a shot and try to convert the layout to modules for Joomla.

Wish me luck!

For those who'd like to see the tutorial as well:

http://www.chette.com/main/content/view/111/

Thread Information