dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: mssql datetime

mssql datetime

Ok, heres the problem.

I have a msSQL stored procedure, and it takes two parameters (@startDate datetime '9/7/2007', @endDate datetime '1999/01/01'). 9/7/2007 is the date of the first entry, and if 1999/01/01 is the value of endDate, I set it to the current date.

This stored procedure works when I run it inside of the ms db gui. However, if I try to call this from my Java app without passing it parameters (keep in mind, my java app was working before I added the daterange parameters), it says:

"com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The value is not set for the parameter number 1."

My first question is, what is the point of default parameters if I still have to pass them in?
    Second question, I am having a hard time passing it parameters. I am not sure of the syntax to create a date in order to pass it. I have imported java.sql.Date (One of the common errors I noticed while searching these forums) and I am trying to create a Date. Could someone tell me what the syntax is to create any specific date (July 4, 2004 for instance)?

Thanks! (Sorry about the long question!)Ok, heres the problem.

I have a msSQL stored procedure, and it takes two parameters (@startDate datetime '9/7/2007', @endDate datetime '1999/01/01'). 9/7/2007 is the date of the first entry, and if 1999/01/01 is the value of endDate, I set it to the current date.

This stored procedure works when I run it inside of the ms db gui. However, if I try to call this from my Java app without passing it parameters (keep in mind, my java app was working before I added the daterange parameters), it says:

"com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The value is not set for the parameter number 1."

My first question is, what is the point of default parameters if I still have to pass them in?
    Second question, I am having a hard time passing it parameters. I am not sure of the syntax to create a date in order to pass it. I have imported java.sql.Date (One of the common errors I noticed while searching these forums) and I am trying to create a Date. Could someone tell me what the syntax is to create any specific date (July 4, 2004 for instance)?

Thanks! (Sorry about the long question!)

I'd really like to see how you are calling your store procedure from Java?
    Cheers

Khalid

Message Posting Guidelines In These Forums, Please read these before posting any question.
    Web site: webapplikations.com
    Web Resources Page:Web Resources

I'm not sure about parameters to a stored procedure, maybe the rules are different, but when you're putting dates in a SQL statement, JDBC gives a common format, regardless of the date format used by the underlying database engine. Namely:

{d'yyyy-mm-dd'}

Where the braces, the first "d", and the single quotes are literals and the rest is replaced with the date you want, like

{d'2007-10-03'}

for October 3, 2007.

If you use JDBC functions that operate on a Date object, then you set the date using Java calls, and it's all vanilla Java.

Thread Information