dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Creating buttons in Photoshop on transparent bg

Creating buttons in Photoshop on transparent bg

Hi,

I am trying to create some ellipse shaped buttons in photoshop to use as navigation buttons on a website. My problem is that although using transparent background the program seems to be filling the feathered edges of each ellipse with white. Thus when its on the website on a blue background there is a white haze. I have tried manually erasing the white but it looks so messy. Is there a setting i need to change to keep everything transparent out side of the ellipse?

Thanks

Liz

Ellipse buttons or shapes are always going to dither/feather around the edges.

I suggest that you use the BG color that the button image is going to reside over as a BG layer in your PS file so that when the "feathering" takes place then it's the same color as your web page BG rather than white. Keeping the bottom layer as a transparent layer, cut/remove & make transparent as close to the ellipse as needed if needed.

Thanks for your reply Shawn.

Its a good idea but the background is different colors whcih is why i was using the transparent bg.

However - I have been trying to wade through photoshop help again since my post (not the easiest read) and have found that when you save a transparent gif you can select what colour the feather infills are. the default is white and i have changed to 'none'. BINGO!!!

Hope that helps someone else. Its been driving me mad for some time!

Liz

also, you can save them as .png images with the transp. intact though if one is running an older browser it may show white around the edge.

Thread Information