www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Php?

Php?

If we have ASP and CGI, why can't we have a PHP category? :P

We've already asked that and been told to go to the PHP forum at http://www.phpbuilder.com/forum/

Well you see "ASP and CGI" is where development stops, and PHP is where real programming begins

g_a_t_e

PolySUDS

Well you see "ASP and CGI" is where development stops, and PHP is where real programming begins
    What an absolute load of rubbish. PHP is just another server side scripting language, just like ASP. It isn't really any more complex than ASP or even Javascript. Real programming begins with languages like Java and C++, not PHP!!!

Originally posted by Crazy
    It isn't really any more complex than ASP or even Javascript.
    While I agree that ASP and CGI (or rather, Perl) are close to PHP, JavaScript is not.

And, the way I read g_a_t_e's comment was that he liked PHP, not that that he really meant PHP was so different from the others...

Just for the record, CGI/Perl IS a programing language...

Both ASP and PHP are considerably more limited in what they can do (which is fine becuse their target is to be good Serverside scripting languages for websites).

But,

-PHP is more flexible then ASP
    -PHP works with the higher performance then ASP and others
    -PHP is an open source language (no money for billy or anyone else)

just want to say that!
    Last edited by swon; 01-17-2003 at 05:53 PM.

While I agree that ASP and CGI (or rather, Perl) are close to PHP, JavaScript is not.
    I agree, my point was not about how close they were, my point was about how complex they are compared to PHP. Although they serve different purposes (PHP vs Javascript) I don't believe the complexity differs that much. Neither are real programming languages, they are both scripting languages, and remember Javascript works server side as well (for those who know how). Neither language compares to Java or C++ which are real programming languages, and that was my point!!!

They are all real programming languages, just some are compiled and some are interpreted. Each language has different characteristics, and can do some things more easily than others.

And yes, I think we should have a PHP category.

Adam

If they're not compiled does that not make them scripting languages? I'm never too sure on the difference

Traditionally script does refer to an interpreted language, and program to a compiled language, although there is no set rule. A compiled C program run server-side can still be referred to as a CGI script.

However, a computer scientist will correctly explain that all programs are interpreted and that the only question is at what level.

PHP, ASP (VBScript), and even JavaScript are all programming languages. They all have variables, data types of some sort, subroutines/functions, operators, etc. As AdamGundry pointed out, it all depends on what they get used for. And whether it is a programming language or a scripting language is semantics only (see above).
    Last edited by jeffmott; 01-18-2003 at 09:43 AM.

when it comes down to it the only script and or language is one that the machine can understand and that would be machine language.

i say, lets scrap all these thousands of languages and get right back down to binary code!! ya, THATS the way to code!!

Thread Information