www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: redirecting dead links with htaccess

redirecting dead links with htaccess

How long should I leave redirects in my htaccess file? do they have to remain there indefinately? will i end up with a HUGE htaccess file as over time I take down old outdated material?

Thanks

Jason

Normally, you update the page's content within the page, not recreate another version and link to it. That way, you won't mess up search engine indexing and keep the engines pointing to one page consistently.

But to your question, I suggest six months retention.

KDLA
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

Thanks KDLA.

problem is I setup a new forum in place of the old one and didn't want to take down the old one until I was sure the new one was running fine. That meant a different directory for the new one. So everything that used to goto domain.com/phpbb2/*.php now goes to domain.com/phpbb3/*.php

Is there a good way to redirect an entire directory?

You could rename (or delete) phpbb2 and replace it with a soft link of the same name to point to phpbb3.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

spent better part of the day fixing the 404s in my webmaster log :P. hopefully I am good to go. What a pain in the ass :P. I will likely do as you suggest next time ray. Maybe just post a temp page on my forums rename the old forums to phpBB3.old and install the newer one in its place. once it is working just make the links to my forums live again.

though they dont come out with new forums but every 2-3 years, I still dont want to have to do it again if I dont have to

Thanks,
    Jason

Thread Information