dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Graphics in webpages

Question Graphics in webpages

Do we really need high-quality graphics in our webpages? I think it just takes too much time to download fancy Flash presentations. It doesn't even add much to functionality. Better off with just plain text pages. Bring them back to our browsers ...

Uh....

I don't know about just text pages.....but I am against fancy stuff cluttering up otherwise good pages....(especially since I'm working on dial-up right now! !).....

There's two different types of web designers. The old table based type, who draw a massive image in Photoshop, carve it up and serve it on their website, and the new breed of css based, fluid layout type who use images more sparingly. I think I know which I prefer.

I agree with Dave

As a graphic artist, it is my job to ensure the graphics (animated or not) should be functional and to the point, and should have proper compression to ensure a swift download. Otherwise, they can just get in the way.

Definitely! Our biggest problem is that while some people are zooming around out there on broadband, others are chuntering away over a 56k dialup. The latter group tends to get forgotten... However, if you're sparing with the graphics, you can still get a good appearance, and it's nearly instant on broadband. Perfect!

heard of that: http://www.the5k.org/ ?
    cool.

(Also, I think I succeeded in doing a slim one at www.recordsale.de. Dunno if this self-ad is permitted. Please feel free to tell me it isn't.)
    Last edited by Pierre Rouillet; 09-01-2003 at 01:41 PM.

Thread Information