www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to make links obvious

How to make links obvious

I'm sure there have been studies done on this but a Google search produces such a mass of stuff I don't know how to sort it out.

In my blog I like to keep the pages down to about 10 pictures so that the page loads in a reasonable time, at the bottom of the page I put a link to the next page. I am finding through Google analytics that people do not follow the link to the next page and preliminary evidence suggests that

a) they don't realize there is a next page
    b) they don't see the link
    c) they're not interested (but I can rule this out in some cases)

In the absence of 'c' what can I do?

Initially I had just a regular anchor, lots of people missed this. I replaced it with a button but am still not getting the results I want. I just made the text in the button red in an effort to draw attention to it.

Can anybody advise or point to a study/tutorial on web page design that would help?

Though I would of course be interested in advice specific to my pages I would also like to read any available articles on this aspect of page design.

Here is an example (disclaimer - there is an advertising banner on this page for my company, I promise that that is not the reason for posting this link, maybe it is part of the problem though not many people seem to follow it either!)

http://www.bobpalin.com/200701113

First of all, there is an extra "1" in that link, so its not found. I got rid of a "1" and everything worked. Make the link look like a link, ie. underlined, slightly different colored or bold, etc. In this case, red doesn't draw my attention because it doesn't look related to the rest of the material. A trick I use for related items is use arrows. Like this:
    Continued >>.
    Remember in HTML to use the special characters for the "<, >" signs because they are html tag delimiters. So the code would look like this:
    HTML Code:
    <a href='link.com'>Continued &gt;&gt;</a>
    Also try putting more space between the bottom of your link and the banner below it, alot of peoples eyes automatically skip over banners because they are usually ads. I'd move the banner to the bottom of the other links as well, to try and keep related content together, but thats just me.
    Last edited by TJ111; 10-31-2007 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks - the link should be http://www.bobpalin.com/20070113 as you say.

I will make the adjustments you suggest. I'm still interested in reading any material that addresses this subject.

Here's a little article I found by googling for it. I'm sure theres plenty more.

http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-fr...ink-text.shtml

hey bobpalin,

i'm just going to point out a few things...

IDs (#caption800) are only allowed to be used once. you should change all of these to a class (.caption800)

also, do you realize that your body width is 1000px and the container div is 1024px? i guess that the body just expands to 1024px, i'm not sure though. in any case, this is going to make the page scroll horizontally for most users... which is commonly frowned upon.

you may want to validate your code.

and i'm not sure about this, but is sokay to use multiple classes in a div?
    <div class="center container_1024 powderblue_bgnd darkblue padding_10">

Firstly, let me say thank you for your efforts, I've been over concentrating on content obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtm32236
    IDs (#caption800) are only allowed to be used once. you should change all of these to a class (.caption800)
    Hmm, going to take a while to fix that, it's just a mechanism I copied from somewhere and it does seem to work.

also, do you realize that your body width is 1000px and the container div is 1024px? i guess that the body just expands to 1024px, i'm not sure though. in any case, this is going to make the page scroll horizontally for most users... which is commonly frowned upon.
    Oops, it doesn't scroll in IE6, IE7 or Firefox though, fixed it.

you may want to validate your code.
    OK, fixed many of the things, not all though.

and i'm not sure about this, but is sokay to use multiple classes in a div?
    <div class="center container_1024 powderblue_bgnd darkblue padding_10">
    I don't know either but it does work. If it's not supposed to be done that way am I supposed to make a class for each combination of the things? That would seem to limit the flexibility I was looking for quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ111
    Here's a little article I found by googling for it. I'm sure theres plenty more.

http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-fr...ink-text.shtml
    Perfect. What search terms did you use?

Try saying something like "Page 1 of X" near the top with links to the next page.

This way, the reader knows the article/blog is several pages long even before they start reading.

Also... make sure your analytic code is actually present on your subsequent pages. I didn't look, but I've seen that be the problem a number of times.

No problem in using multiple class callouts in a div: <div class="wrapper jus"> ... </div> for example. I do it all the time.

Ron

really? that's incredible.

thanks.... that may save me a lot of time in the future.

Thread Information