www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: To Ruby or Not to Ruby...

Question To Ruby or Not to Ruby...

Hello All,

I've just been commissioned to work on a site that will function much like craigslist. I can do it all in PHP, but I am wondering if learning Ruby and using it would be quicker and easier?

If you think I should learn it for the site, where should I start?

Frankly, whether or not you use Ruby, PHP, C#, Java, Perl, or other language is fairly immaterial. What is more important is how well you know and can work with a given language. If you already are a fluent programmer in PHP and have or know where to get reusable classes, functions, templates, etc. so that you do not have to reinvent a lot of wheels, then PHP is likely going to be faster than using something where you need to learn a new language, discover what libraries exist for it that you might want to use, etc.

On the other hand, if your schedule allows it, there's certainly a lot to be said for learning another language. It broadens your skill base and usually ends up teaching you a trick or two that you find you can use with PHP or any other language.

But, unless you are a fairly experienced programmer in general and comfortable working with object-oriented techniques, I doubt that switching to Ruby will allow you to reach project completion faster than using what you already know.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thanks for the tips! I guess I'll just get it done in PHP and learn ruby for a freelance job.

Thread Information