www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Weird selecting/highlighting issue

Weird selecting/highlighting issue

Hi,

I've got a weird thing thats happening on a page I'm building and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it and know what's causing it.

Basically on the page you can't click the mouse anywhere and highlight all the text. E.g if you click anywhere on this screen and press CTRL+ A everything is highlighted. If you do that on my page nothing is highlighted. This even happens in text boxes - if I type something in the box and then try to highlight it so I could copy it it won't let me. This is only an IE issue and doesn't happen in firefox.

I've obviously done something at some stage whilst writing the code (no idea what), but there's a lot of code to go through now to try and debug what's happening.

Has anyone ever had anything like that happen before and if so, do you know what caused it and what the fix is?

Thanks

Did you use absolute positioning and/or z-index?
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

Yea I have used both for certain bits of the code. Will it likely be that that's causing the issue and if so is there anything I can do (other than removing the offending code)?

I suggest you validate both your HTML and CSS, first. Then systematically go through your CSS, disabling certain styles until you find the offending one. It could be one little setting, rather than the whole layout.

KDLA
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

Thanks, I'll give that a go. I may be back once I find the offending item asking for assistance!

Thread Information