dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: http://www.paradoxdesigns.co.uk/

http://www.paradoxdesigns.co.uk/

I would love to hear your thoughts on my website.

Please, take a look!
    http://www.paradoxdesigns.co.uk/

Have a browse around, I would then like to tell yourself a little bit about me.

I'm 15 years of age at the moment and looking to become part of a website designing organisation of some sort when I'm older. My strongest languages are PHP (and implenting MySQL), HTML and CSS. However, I understand some other common internet languages such as JavaScript.

I love making PHP scripts straight from scratch. On previous websites I have made forums and member systems for instance. The last script I made, for example, let you enter in the artist and name of an album, the script would then fetch the tracklisting for that album from an online music database such as Last.fm, and then fetch all of the YouTube videos for that album and play through them for you.

I like to keep my coding neat too. I hate messy coding, especially the awful      stuff Dreamweaver creates. Everything has to follow a pattern and be inline. I'm a perferctionist, I guess?

What I would like to know is, for a 15-year old, do I show a skill for website designing and will it get me anywhere in the near future?

Thanks,
    Oli

Nice site. But...

Kill the intro. It took 30 seconds to load on a 3M DSL connection. Most users would be long gone in 7 seconds or less.

It doesn't validate: Missing DOCTYPE declaration for starters. After you decide on a DOCTYPE then try to validate it.

IMHO, I would just comment out the link to the Portfolio page until I have a portfolio to display.

The link Websites kind of threw me. My first thought was here's the portfolio. Maybe Design instead? I don't know, it just says portfolio to me.

I like the colors, page layout and the content is very good. I would hire you.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by tca
    Nice site. But...

Kill the intro. It took 30 seconds to load on a 3M DSL connection. Most users would be long gone in 7 seconds or less.

It doesn't validate: Missing DOCTYPE declaration for starters. After you decide on a DOCTYPE then try to validate it.

IMHO, I would just comment out the link to the Portfolio page until I have a portfolio to display.

The link Websites kind of threw me. My first thought was here's the portfolio. Maybe Design instead? I don't know, it just says portfolio to me.

I like the colors, page layout and the content is very good. I would hire you.

TC
    Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it.

I will most deffintely be removing the introduction and changing the navigation link 'Websites'. Not so sure about replacing it with 'Design' though - because our whole website eveolves around design, not just the websites page. Any further suggestions?

As for the DOCTYPE, I would usually use one because valid HTML means a lot. However, the page is centered in the middle of the page, vertically and horizantally. DOCTYPE prevents vertical alignment.

I've placed a HTML comment at the top of my websites code noting the purpose of the missing DOCTYPE, so if anyone comes across our website and inspects the code, at least they will understand that it's missing for a reason.

Thanks,
    Oli

After looking at your code (which I didn't have time to do last time) I changed my mind about hiring you. <font> is depreciated. You're still using tables where div's would be better. By not using a DOCTYPE you are making your page run in quirks mode which could give you some unpleasant results in some browsers. Take a look in IE6.

I don't understand what is vertically centered. The page (past the loader) looks normal to me. It has a vertical scroll bar and doesn't have a top margin. What is vertically centered?

Use a Firefox browser and get the Web Developer and HTML Tidy Add-ons at the least. Use these tools to help you get your page to validate and see how your page elements relate.

Wrap your page in a container div like this: #container {margin: 0 auto; width:690px;} to center the page. You'll have to adjust your other div's a little to fit or make your container a little wider.

Your page looks really nice and speaks well of your designer eye, but behind the curtain it ain't professional.

Hope this helps - TC

Quote Originally Posted by tca
    After looking at your code (which I didn't have time to do last time) I changed my mind about hiring you. <font> is depreciated. You're still using tables where div's would be better. By not using a DOCTYPE you are making your page run in quirks mode which could give you some unpleasant results in some browsers. Take a look in IE6.

I don't understand what is vertically centered. The page (past the loader) looks normal to me. It has a vertical scroll bar and doesn't have a top margin. What is vertically centered?

Use a Firefox browser and get the Web Developer and HTML Tidy Add-ons at the least. Use these tools to help you get your page to validate and see how your page elements relate.

Wrap your page in a container div like this: #container {margin: 0 auto; width:690px;} to center the page. You'll have to adjust your other div's a little to fit or make your container a little wider.

Your page looks really nice and speaks well of your designer eye, but behind the curtain it ain't professional.

Hope this helps - TC
    Thanks again for your response.

I have not previewed the website in IE6. However, I am aware the website looks just right in recent versions of Mozilla Firefox, Opera and Safari. It also looks just right in Internet Explorer 7.

I am lead to believe IE6 does not support alpha PNG images and, therefore, the transparency will look like something very different. I have found a fix for this but have not yet had the time to intergrate it.

What I mean by 'vertically centered' is the main 'box' of the website is aligned both vertically and horizantally in the middle of the page. I have done a lot of research on centering content into the very middle of the page and the best solution appeared to be to remove the DOCTYPE so height="100%" would work. DOCTYPE prevents the height attribute from using percentage figures. I need to have the content centered in the middle of the page on all monitor sizes, so therefore padding and margins would be irrelevant.

I am using tables because they are far easier to position on the page and a lot more browser friendly. Tables give me the ability to use rows and columns - whereas div only provides me a single container. Tables can be centered into the middle of the page so that when the browser is resized, the tables will adjust their position to remain the center of the page.

Let me know where I'm wrong. Valid HTML is important but sometimes the appearance comes first (if it works on all browsers).

Finally, here's at screenshot of how the website looks for me.
    http://www.paradoxdesigns.co.uk/site...paradoxie7.png

Thanks,
    Oli

Unable to edit my previous post, but the new link to the screenshot is below:
    http://www.paradoxdesigns.co.uk/temp...paradoxie7.png.

Nice looking site but....
    If you submit an enquiry for a website, graphic or photograph then
    You spelled enquiry wrong. It's inquiry.

I know...i know - i'm a stickler

But if clients see something like that, they may be discouraged from hiring you.

Thats all for now.

I though all the people that start to learn web design today would jump straight into using the current methods but I guess you have to crawl before you can walk.

What I am suggesting is learning more on how things should be done and why, rather than 'just doing things'. E.g. using a doctype, not using tables for layout, testing for IE6 etc. are all very basic things to know when starting website creation. All things aside the end result is still rather good for a person of you age.

Thumbs up Just a few observations...

Hi there,

A few ideas:

- General hint, you must show something in portfolio, otherwise...but mojo.

- Home text are packed, clean and simply, show just a few ideas but clear.

- Website, it remainds me to MS a lot...too much a complex form, simply.

- Graphics, the same, but cool, i like the way you handle the pictures.

- Contarct forma, seems to strict give the chance to write, no just combo, or first free test and the combo, and more simple.

Please, im also new into this, revew my website:
    www.ParkSinta.com

Thread Information