Hello all. I have a flash video embedded into a div which starts out with a CSS value of display:none;. A link is clicked and the DIV is then changed from display:none; to display:block;. the content comes up just fine but in IE7 the flash video player doesn't come up at all. It works fine in Mozilla.
I notice that for some reason the OBJECT tag in IE7 has a value of visibility:hidden; while firefox sets it visibility:visible; when the DIV comes up. I've tried setting visibility:visible; in IE7 on the OBJECT tag but just a white box comes up.
I found out some more about why my flash isn't working. I'm posting this in hopes that it will give somebody an idea or two on why i'm having this problem.
Is there a way to 'reload' the OBJECT tag or flash video or something? I don't know what IE is doing but it obviously doesn't like how the flash object is displayed through this popup.
I've noticed this issue in IE7 with all Flash content, not just Flash Video. In fact, all my FLash content appeared just fine in IE7 a day or two ago and for some reason today nothing is displaying correctly. Have you made any progress in figuring this out?
Why yes i have. I'm glad you posted your problem because i almost forgot about this post.
I don't know what method you are using for your popups, the method i was using was some script i found that didn't work that great, and showed hidden div's embedded in the document. I found another solution that works ten times better, its called thickbox. Its based on jQuery and instead of popping up a hidden div, it displays content from a popup iFrame. Since an iFrame is just like another browser window, everything and anything should render correctly.
I have just one flash video embedded in one of my popups and it works great. check out the link above and click on the Celara Denture Technique. You can click on any popup and see that it doesn't look like an iFrame at all, its just styled with CSS.
No and in fact its not just one site that is now broken its internet-wide. I cant see any Flash content on ANY website in IE7, and I know for a fact that I havent made any chagnes to IE7. Unless something installed or changed IE7 without my knowledge in the background, I have no idea what happened....As a Web/Flash developer, how am i supposed to test in all browsers when one of the most popular browsers breaks for no reason?? Very frustrating...
And just to further clarify, this definitely seems like the problem is within my IE7 program since I can NOT see flash content that I know Firefox can. I checked all my settings in IE7 and still cant figure it out.
I suppose Im posting in the wrong thread now that I realize your issue was a little different than mine. But thanks anyways for your help.
Hey - Have you tried creating a simple page that only includes object and embed tags without any JS? Maybe JS got screwed up some how on your system, i don't know.
I'm pretty new to web developing, been developing for about 8 months, and i've seen JS run differently in different browsers. In particular i'm talking about the AC_RunActiveContent method thats called to insert flash video. I'm sure you know of this script.
Yeah Ive basically commented out the JS portion of the embed code and just left in the object and embed tags. I still experience this issue though. I read somewhere else that this could be a Flash Player issue and not necessarily IE, so I am going to uninstall adn reinstall Flash Player and see if that fixes the problem.
It works! I downloaded the Flash Player Uninstaller and ran that to completely remove Flash Player. Then I downloaded the stand alone Flash Player 9 installer for IE and ran that to re-instlal it and everything works now! According to some other posts Ive read, it was an issue with upgrading IE to version 7. Somehow that upgrade overwrote some Flash Player permissions or something like that, so Flash Player was the culprit after all. Thanks again for your help!