www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Website To Be Updated

Website To Be Updated

It's been a few months since I've visited this forum, so I guess I have to tell you, I am not a web designer or developer. The website I will be working on is our personal site for our kennel. I designed this site about 10 years ago, using basic HTML from a tutorial. I have updated over the years with bits and pieces of new things I learned, so this site is a hodgepodge of coding. Here is the link http://www.endoftheroadkennels.com.

As you can see, it is basically sort of like a photo album. The pictures will tell most of the story. I want to keep the basic photo album style, but make changes that will bring the coding up to date, and I want to be able to validate all of the pages.

My dilemma, I don't know where to start. Up until now, I'd just go in and update pictures and dates, but now, I want to bring everything up to date. I also want to understand the "whats" and "whys" of what I am doing to make the website look a certan way.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Frankie

First thing is to investigate application of CSS (cascading style sheets). This will put all the presentational styling into a separate document, which will make tweaking colors and fonts SO much easier.

Second is to look into semantic coding. (I notice that your text is one huge paragraph, broken by HTML break tags.) Semantic coding is using HTML tags for what they really are: using <p> for each paragraph, <h1> for the page title, <ol> or <ul> for lists, etc.

Good Luck -
    KDLA
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

Thanks for your response. I think I should find a class somewhere before I attempt this! HA HA. I guess I'll be in research mode for quite a while! At least until I can put it all together in my head and really understand what I'm doing!

Thanks again,

Frankie

Thread Information