www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Microsoft litigation pursued for not following web standards

Microsoft litigation pursued for not following web standards

YAY!!

Let's hope it at least makes them follow the rules

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssT...29572420071213

It's like anything else, it goes in cycles. All the other industries, when someone thinks they are the greatest, someone comes along who give the people what they want and everyone forgets the other guys (and then soon forgets the new guys also). Good example: Sears & Roebuck, Montgomery Wards, Jefferson's, K-Mart. Soon Walmart will just be another department store. Take GM and, Ford; shutting down plants all the time due to better products from overseas. Microsoft will soon be like IBM, not out of business but with a different business model. It can't keep up. Gates has stolen all his ideas and now the technology is moving too fast for him to steal it, development it, and blow the competition out of the water.
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Opera files complaint — an open letter to the Web community

Over the years I have been an active participant in the ongoing fight for open and interoperable Web standards. I have always opposed those who would force proprietary technologies where open alternatives, often superior, exist. From 1994, I worked at CERN and W3C to help make sure there were good specifications for the Web. In 1999, I joined Opera to make sure there was at least one browser that implemented those specifications right. We have worked hard to do that. Unfortunately Microsoft's Internet Explorer, the biggest browser of all, did not.

Today we have taken a stand. Opera has filed a formal complaint with the European Commission to force Microsoft to support open Web standards in its Web browser, Internet Explorer. We believe that Microsoft has harmed Web standards by refusing to support them; Microsoft often participates in creating Web standards, promoting them, and even promising to implement them. Despite their talent, however, they refuse to support Web standards correctly. For example, Internet Explorer is the only modern Web browser that does not support Acid2.

Opera has also requested that Microsoft frees Internet Explorer from the Windows platform. We feel that they have used their market dominating position to limit a genuine choice of browsers on the Web for their own commercial gain.

The time for action is now. The Web browser is the most important application for most of us. Developers and designers are creating more powerful Web sites and applications. But because Internet Explorer doesn't implement open and fully-developed Web standards, the work is hard and frustrating. Web designers are forced to spend time working around IE bugs rather than doing what inspires them. We seek no money from Microsoft. We would rather see Microsoft put their considerable talent and resources to work for the Web community.

To those of you who build and shape the sites and services we use everyday — and who will create those in the future — I ask for your support. You will be the ones who ultimately benefit by having a Web that works seamlessly and effortlessly across devices, browsers and is equally open to everyone. That new day is just over the horizon, and by working together, we will awaken to that dawn.

Thank you.
    Håkon Wium Lie
    Chief Technology Officer, Opera Software
    2007-12-13

From ComputerWorld
    "Microsoft either fails to implement industry-standard accepted open practices or implements them in a manner that is not faithful to the standard by adding undisclosed proprietary extensions," ECIS' Thomas Vinje, the group's legal counsel, charged in a separate statement.

Web developers have been making the same case individually. In reaction to posts placed on the official IE blog, developers have blasted Microsoft for not properly supporting standards in the current IE 7, and not spelling out what standards will be supported in the upcoming IE 8.

For example, Internet Explorer is the only modern Web browser that does not support Acid2.
    Not quite true. Unfortunately, Firefox doesn't either: Acid2 Test

Maybe some day, but I still love my FF. Opera is a good second choice.

Ron

I can see it now. Microsoft releases two versions of IE: MSIE EU and MSIE Everywhere Else That Hasn't Sued Microsoft For Not Supporting Web Standards, So The Browser is Still Fatally and Purposely Flawed.

I don't see this making Internet Explorer standards complaint. The W3C standards are not law, just recommendations. This case will, however, provide bad press for Microsoft and further galvanize Web developers against non standard browsers. It's about time a certain browser developer gave their web developers what they're asking for. We want standards. I hate writing one piece of code two ways, and that's what happens with Internet Explorer.

Good luck with the lawsuit. This lawsuit would last about 3 days in the U.S.A. --- just long enough for Microsoft to buy a judge or two.

The W3C are responsible for providing the standards that the browser creators are supposed to follow in how their browsers work (many people seem to misunderstand the purpose of the organisation and think it has something to do with the rules that web page authors should follow but web page authors have many other rules they ought to follow as well as the W3C standards). The W3C standards are agreed to by the members of the W3c and those members include all the web browser authors of any significance.

The big question is why W3C member Microsoft - the member with currently the biggest market share - agrees to standards when they know that their browser will not be able to support those standards without a major rewrite.
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by toicontien
    I can see it now. Microsoft releases two versions of IE: MSIE EU and MSIE Everywhere Else That Hasn't Sued Microsoft For Not Supporting Web Standards, So The Browser is Still Fatally and Purposely Flawed.

I don't see this making Internet Explorer standards complaint. The W3C standards are not law, just recommendations. This case will, however, provide bad press for Microsoft and further galvanize Web developers against non standard browsers. It's about time a certain browser developer gave their web developers what they're asking for. We want standards. I hate writing one piece of code two ways, and that's what happens with Internet Explorer.

Good luck with the lawsuit. This lawsuit would last about 3 days in the U.S.A. --- just long enough for Microsoft to buy a judge or two.
    I think that is EVERYONE's complaint :P.

I just started really making websites heavily in the last year. I had no idea how hostile IE was until I tried to do the right thing with my code by making it standards compliant and IE vehemently spit out my website like it was garbage. (not that bad, but layout was not very nice in IE :P).

As you stated, I simply want to do it right once. I don't want to have to do it right once and wrong a second time just because the guy with market share feels the only way he can keep market share is by making it tough on developers to make sites. MS knows they are the market share and they know we HAVE to develop for IE. They are just hoping we won't develop for the others because the broke they web. :P

Thread Information