www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] QuarkXpress

resolved [RESOLVED] QuarkXpress

Hi there !
    Anyone knows something about QuarkXpress ? I'm new to this program and I'm trying to work on a project which is not difficult, but I want to do it properly...
    (my question would be about sections and master pages)

Do you have to do it in Quack? - I mean Quark!

If you have access to InDesign I could help you with your masterpages and sections questions.

I have used quark, but that was a long time ago before it became obvious that InDesign was a better layout package and (almost) everyone switched over.

If only web development was as easy

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo22
    before it became obvious that InDesign was a better layout package and (almost) everyone switched over.
    Unless something has changed, Quark is still heavily used in the publishing industry, far more than InDesign. But, then again, I haven't dealt with publishing in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    Unless something has changed, Quark is still heavily used in the publishing industry, far more than InDesign. But, then again, I haven't dealt with publishing in a while.
    Hi drhowarddrfine, don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at you . . .

I currently work in the printing industry as a pre-press professional and graphic designer (I'm trying to make a career change over to web development 'cause I dont think my job is going to be there in 5 years time)

This is history as I remember it:

There always has been a bit of snobbery between Quark and InDesign (prev PageMaker) users - ie. Only 'true professionals' use Quark. - IMO It's good to know how to use both!

I think you will find that InDesign took over as the leading layout package a few years back when the first Adobe CS suite came out. It's only the diehards who still cling on to quark.

The main difference at that time was InDesign's ability to do transparent layers - there were many other improvements as well and it was a lot easier to learn - Quark lost a lot of users and still haven't come back.

Quark was at it's best with version 4.1 which was rock solid, stable and reliable. Around that time the alternative was Adobe PageMaker 5 which Adobe had just purchased off a company called Aldus. Adobe's main claim to fame then was Illustrator88.

Anyway, Adobe botched up the Aldus software somehow and the company I was working for had a lot of files lost due to them becoming corrupt when you converted the old Aldus files over to Adobe.

We couldn't accept this, so we changed over to Quark (4.1) which we were able to import our old files, do a bit of jiggling and we were right. Quark stayed with that version (maybe some minor updates) for about 3 years and the pre-press people were happy and the printing gods smiled down on a world of stability and happiness. - Quark rested on it's laurells.

During the rein of King Quark the Adobe developers decided to ditch most of the Aldus code and re-write it from the ground up - InDesign was born.

They had to tear me from my darling quark, kicking and screaming to even consider using Adobe again - too many painful memories. But I had to because clients started supplying files in InDesign that sometimes needed editing. I soon realised that InDesign was a far superior product and easy to learn - not to mention the seamless integration with PhotoShop, Illy, DreamWeaver (GoLive), Flash . . . I switched back!

I'm not sure where Quark are at at the moment, but that's irrelevant to me now because now 99% of our clients supply press-ready PDFs (another Adobe product!).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not gunning for Adobe - It actally worries the hell out of me that they have become a company of almost MicroSoft proportions! swallowing up smaller companies (ie. MacroMedia) along the way - leaving us with little choice and competition.

I'm wanting to learn Flash at the moment, but at aprox. $1250 AUS. purchasing the software is out of the question. I have downloaded their trial and doing some of the tutorials at the moment - when the trial runs out, I'm not sure what I'll do next.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed my little story.
    I apologise if some of the details aren't exact!

cheers.

My apologies to the OP that I went off on a rambling tangent and offered no help at all!

Probably too late, but the forums here should answer your questions:

http://www.prepressforums.com/
    http://printplanet.com/

That still surprises me. I just Googled around and Merrill Lynch, in 2004, said Quark had eight times the market share of InDesign. That was three or four years ago and I know InDesign is making big inroads but everything else more recent (2006) says Quark still has two, five or eight times the sales of InDesign, depending on who you read (or is it market share? I forgot). Quark also still claims 80% market share as of 2007. (Some caveats are that number may be based on usage and that Adobe's Suite includes InDesign but many of those purchasers don't use InDesign).

But InDesign is really giving Quark a run for their money.

Hi drhowarddrfine,

So ya had to spoil my little story

I'll take your word for it that your research is correct in what google 'says' - I don't have the inclination to bother checking. But I really find it hard to believe!

From a pre-press professionals point of view with 30yrs experience, here's what I deal with on a daily basis:
    • Most Client's supply a press ready PDF - the ones we have most problems with are the ones created out of Quark.

• Sometimes files are supplied in native format - 95% of the time they are InDesign files

• We have Quark installed only for those rare occasions

• We even get Word files more often than quark (these are supplied by people not in the print industry)

• Most of the clients that we deal with are print professionals:
      ie. Advertising Agencies, Art Houses, Trade Houses, Graphic Designers, Other Printers.

• Fellow collegues have similar experiences

Maybe things are different here in the land of Oz - which would account for a smaller percentage of the usage compared with the US and Europe etc.

It does surprise me however that all those Quark users who purchase Adobe's suite would just ignore InDesign!

Yeah, like I said, I don't know anymore but I just Googled for 'quark indesign publishing' or somesuch and glanced at the list of articles it popped up with.

Hey, sorry guys, didn't get the chance to visit for a while. Actually, I did something simpler.
    BTW, in Switzerland at least, I was told that Quark is the more frequently used than Indesign.
    For my part, I don't really care, I know (a little bit) how to use both.
    In books publishing (ni images, or very few), Quark is widely used.

Quote Originally Posted by Ness_du_Frat
    in Switzerland at least, I was told that Quark is the more frequently used than Indesign.
    Then I guess that just about settles that.

Thread Information