dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: frame rate animated gif?

frame rate animated gif?

What's the default frame rate of a animated gif? I'm using Imageready and set each frame to a delay of 'no delay' (0 secs). When exporting as animated gif, what is the default speed (number of frames per second) browsers animate the gif? Can't find any documentation about it.

I believe the speed is controlled by the file, not the browser. (However, I could be wrong.) I know in Fireworks, you set the speed and the browser renders the .gif based on that.

KDLA

There isn't a default frame rate for gifs as they are just mini slide shows and you control how long the frame is delayed.

Depending on how complicated the image is a file the faster or slower it will play regardless of the delay. I once made an awesome .gif with flash like effects that turned out to be 4mbs in size. It played awesome locally, but online in different browsers, it actually jumped and skipped frames, and sometimes is played so slow that it was almost was unwatchable.

I use Ulead's GIF animator

Well, I use Ulead's GIF animator 5 ( Shown here )

The 'Wizard" helps you insert your images and then you can set whatever frame rate - for each frame - that you want.

This gives you the ability to slow down and/or speed up whatever part(s) of your animated GIF that you like.

Once you get it the way that you want, you save it as a GIF file (in your Root Directory), insert it into the web page of your choice, upload the GIF (that is in your Root Directory), the web page, and you're good to go.

How do you like Ulead GIF animator? I had the free trial on one of my computers but I just couldn't get into it. I really dont like Image Ready at all, but it so simple and close to Photoshop that I use that.

Ulead

Well, there are alot of programs out there but I have come to really like Ulead's. Maybe because I found them very easy to learn and use.

I find their Gif Animator very user friendly and effecient.

I have PhotoShop but I have come to like, and use, Ulead's PhotoImpact 12 more.

Just my preference.

Dose some have a recommended frame rate for a scrolling marquee?

I recommend avoiding .gif's for anything but small animations consisting of no more than 8 frames. Gif's are nice as a palleted image format (makes for better file size reduction at times compared to formats like .jpeg), however they are very limited in terms of animations and so also inflate the general file size very fast. If you think you need an animated gif first try to see you can duplicate the effects with a single image and some javascript. The only exception i'd say is if you're using an animation for your background, though that rarely is a good idea. I'd actually almost recommend flash over gif's if you need more elaborate animation, as you can generally optimize flash files to be smaller if done right, because flash files generate the animation from a small set of resources, instead of duplicating such resources into frames like gif does.
    Last edited by Jarrod1937; 05-10-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Thread Information