www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wants to put .flv on website; what different flv players can I use?

Wants to put .flv on website; what different flv players can I use?

Very new in video on web field. What are my options?

JW FLV Media Player. I use it on one of my sites. It is pretty easy to set up, and it supports playlists (XML, RSS.)

http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/video.html

This is a good tutorial that tells you what to use (flash), why, and how to for free. Or use Flash CS3 pro - you can import mots video formats directly into that and create a quick flash movie you can then put on your website using SWFobject script, which is pretty easy.

Thanks for your recent comments, but perhaps we should clarify a few things. YouTube does not "stream" the video, it's progressively downloaded.
    if your question is streaming video like youtube
    And as for
    flash video can not directly play on web browser, it need to be embeded in .swf file to play
    Well if flash video is in fact embedded in (the main timeline of) the .swf, then the browser WILL play it directly, through the flash plug-in. If it is not embedded in the main time line but called dynamically, then a video player is required to play the .flv (flash video) file.
    Too bad most of your posts are advertisements…since this is a Developers Forum, please at least be correct in terminology and description of details.
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

Addressing this
    ….for flash video can not directly play on web browser…..
    Embedding a Flash video .flv file into the main timeline of a Flash document, will produce a .swf file which needs no accompanying .flv file. Once compiled into the final product (the .swf) the Flash video file, (the .flv) is no longer needed and is not used on the Web page. The only thing needed on the HTML Web page is the .swf itself, which plays directly in the browser plug-in, no other player is required. Embedded Flash video CAN play directly in the Web browser.
    …. it need to be embeded in .swf file to play…..
    Flash video does not need to be imbedded into a .swf file in order for it to play. Embedding is the process described above. Embedding flash video “in .swf file to play” is not the typical means for displaying .flv files. Typically a Flash player is created, in the form of a .swf file, with ActionScript to dynamically call an external Flash video file, the .flv. The .flv file cannot be played directly in the Web browser but needs a player, placed on the HTML Web page to call and play the video file. This calling and playing is not the same as embedding into a .swf. In this case both the .swf and the .flv must be available on the HTML Web page.
    Both of them can play the flv file. is it wrong???
    Both methods can be used to display the video. In the context of the quotes above, it’s important to understand the difference between direct display, as an integrated part of a .swf file and using an external player to “play” the video. Perhaps a comparison could be drawn with playing music on a guitar and using a radio to play guitar music. Both result in guitar music but the delivery methods are very different.
    Since we are discussing this in a Developers Forum, we should try to be as accurate in terminology and descriptions as possible.
    Best wishes,
    EfV

Have you heard of www.Fliqz.com? They make getting video on websites really easy for developers. They handle uploading, encoding, streaming, managment capabilities, analytics, etc. Ive used them a few times and they are great.

Josh

Why do people insist on using Flash?

You can reach a far more wider audience if you stuck to accessible file formats, namely MP1 files.

Issue is then solved, no complicated scripts, no need for people to be forced to install something that they do not need.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

In answer to:
    Why do people insist on using Flash?
    You can reach a far more wider audience if you stuck to accessible file formats, namely MP1 files.
    Because MP1 is a very old AUDIO file format using MPEG Layer 1 compression. It is not a video format. It has long since been replaced, first with mp2 and then mp3. Current mp3 technology (audio layer, layer 3 of a MPEG file) allows a much greater compression ratio while maintaining high quality. This small file size and high quality is the reason mp3 compression is used for nearly all the songs played or downloaded over the Internet.
    So why not play videos using mpeg1 or mpeg2 compression? File size is HUGE and not suited for direct viewing over the Internet. There are several competing format for video file compression, currently the most popular and widely used is Flash. Flash video files, (the .flv) is a container format carrying both the audio and the video stream. This file can use ON2 VP6 compression or Sorenson Squeeze as the codec. Very high quality with small file size. Small file size, high quality, and cross browser compatibility is the reason Flash is so popular.
    None the less I would be interested to see the Web page code you would use to play a mp1 file. Can you please post a sample so we can give it a try in various browsers?
    EfV

pick any media player that you like, they ALL play mp1, mp2 video formats.

WMP that you embed in to a web page is no different, if you want code, then look no further than this site.
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!

Perhaps you are confusing playing mpeg video files which are already downloaded on your machine with the click and play that a media player embedded in a Web page allows. Web browsers require plugins (or add-ons) to play video, so depending on the media player coding used on the Web page, a browser may or may not play mpeg1 or mpeg2 video.
    For example, playing a mpeg1 file coded into a QuickTime player, will play fine on Macs, but not as many PCs running IE. Coding in a mpeg2 with a WMP on the Web page will prevent many Mac users from seeing the video, while Windows users will do just fine. Firefox needs plugins just like the other browsers. Browsers use plugins to match the media player coded into the page, not just because of the video format. Since all browser require some type of video plugins, Flash’s compatibility with multiple browsers make it a good choice.
    As for using mpeg1 or mpeg2 video formats for click and play Internet videos, the quality is very poor compared to a Flash file of the same size. Improving the quality of mpegs requires huge files (up to 10X). That’s why they are not used for click and play Internet video.
    I’ve set up a test page where you can test quality, file size, and cross browser compatibility for yourself.
    http://www.cidigitalmedia.com/web_devel/mpeg_test.html
    EfV

No confusion here, if the file is on a web server then the media player that plays it will play it. I have no issues with video at all. QT plays all expected files perfectly fine as does WMP and MPLayer media player.

A web page will not play a media file unless you have a player embedded in to it, if no player is available then the web browser will load up the file in the most appropriate player that resides on the system (default player).

I do not understand how you arrived at the argument that a web page will not play video... given the right coding and an embedded player, of course it will...

What your failing to grasp is the fact that the simpler and more widely accessible formats like MPeg will be maximizing your sites accessibility and is more user friendly than Flash.

Not clear on what you mean by
    QT plays all expected files perfectly fine
    Can you clarify? My QT does not play .wmv and my WMP does not play .mov. Does your version? And as for the MPLayer media player, I’m not sure how to embed that into a Web page…can you post the code?
    A web page will not play a media file unless you have a player embedded in to it
    I whole heartedly agree!
    if no player is available then the web browser will load up the file in the most appropriate player that resides on the system (default player).
    So are you saying that if the Web page has a “myvideo.wmv” or “myvideo.mpg” file encoded to play in the <object classid="clsid:6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6>, it will play in the default player on a Mac? Or that the default player on my Windows machine will play “myvideo.mov” or “myvideo.mpg” embedded as the <object classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B"> ?
    Well what happens if the most appropriate player (QT or WMP) is not available, then what? Specifics would be helpful here please….
    I do not understand how you arrived at the argument that a web page will not play video... given the right coding and an embedded player, of course it will...
    Well I’m so glad you agree with me on that point!
    ..given the right coding and an embedded player, of course it will..
    So can you clarify what the right coding would be? And specifically, which embedded player are you suggesting?
    ..more widely accessible formats like MPeg will be maximizing your sites accessibility..
    I would be very, very interested in that! Can you please post links to those site which have more “accessibility” than sites like YouTube and Google, which use Flash video?
    No disrespect meant, but your latest posts against Flash have been long on rhetoric and short on actual fact. I’m sorry, but I’m a coder and if you disagree with me, show me your code, your samples, or your Web site examples. Just talk doesn’t really do it.
    Best wishes,
    EfV

I can see that this is doing an A380 Airbus on you.

"QT plays ALL EXPECTED TYPES" in other words, the known types IT CAN play. This does not mean to say that your default player will not load up a file because it does not know the format, even basing a file on its extension type is not an indication of a files playability as you have the issue of Codecs to consider and the file could not be a media file as file extensions are not unique to a particular product or service but the player will attempt to play a file of a "Known" extension type assuming that it is a media type.

http://filext.com/file-extension/mpg
    http://filext.com/file-extension/FLV

Did you spot anything? in particular... like in the notes? like in the table towards the bottom? like "mpegfile | Movie Clip | QuickTime Player Application | QuickTimePlayer.exe"

If your having issues with playing MPG in QT then the issue is with your version of QT or lack of codec and I would go with the latter.

So .flv, everyone is doing it, would you jump off a bridge just because others were doing it?

All I can say is that I am pointing out issues that you should consider when choosing a media file type and who your looking to reach, if all your users use Flash then fine, that quite dandy but your missing the issues of people who may want to view but do not want to install Flash or are using a browser type that just does not support flash (yes they do exist and are not a figment of my advance imagination and K step thinking skills.).

Mpeg has been around from year dot, Flash has not and the video aspect is very very shiny and new, so new you can still see ya face in the chrome work.

Like any video codec, you need to know how to use it and just because .flv appears to produce "Better" q factor than other container formats to me is a pretty dumb argument to take up, theirs plenty of existing video formats that out perform Flash Video.

So why do you have issue with just offering up an alternate format for those who do not use flash? All it would take is a little time, putting a link in and allowing people to choose, why do developers have to be so "Myopic & Blinkered" on such subject? Some of the best sites out on the internet offer up multiple formats for people as they seem to recognize that this is a world of choice and not one where an individuals ideal is enforced on the masses.

For some reason people seem to think I pick fault with them, I do not, I may not be subtle or as tactful as some people here but I believe in telling it like I see it in plain English that seems to constantly do an A380AB on people. I am truing to kick you in to the reality of the situation and that is one where you seem to be enforcing your ideal on the masses rather than catering for them.

Each web flv player has its cons and pros. By now, flowplayer and jw are the most popular ones. You can go to this page for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flv

If you are a Windows users, you an download A4Desk FLV Video Player software, you can build and preview the entire flash video player with a variety of video player skins to choose from. And then publish the full set of files to your web server once ready with few mouse clicks.

Thread Information