www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Can I get some feedback on my site

Can I get some feedback on my site

I am just launching this new site in the last few days and could use some feedback from some more experienced developers.
    We are supplying free ad free site searches and I am wondering how the look and feel of the process is to experienced (and inexperienced) people.

Any feedback would be appreciated:

www.laancor.com

Thanks!

the site's gorgeous...

i think that the line, "PinPoint is an easy and free, way to add a custom search engine to your site without advertisements." should be all white... the switch between the light blue and bold white is kind of annoying.

and the bottom links (Quadra, RealDP, Pinpoint, Search the Wiki, etc) are to light. I can hardly read them.

PS - <script language="..."> is depreciated...

it should be written <script type="text/javascript">

good job with the site.

If that site had a digg button....
    1888.1985 2110.2012

Nice site. I think it is too light/white - seems almost incomplete. I would also move the logo to the left in the header and make it more prominent - larger/darker colors+more saturation. Also the gray links in the footer (below Products, Services) are barely visible - make them just a bit darker.

sorry - but i completely disagree with the previous post...

whitespace is key, and it's used perfecfly on this site. and everyone one has their logo in the top left... it's nice to see something different.

It's a little to ...spacious... for my tastes. I find myself distractedly scanning the page, searching for meaningful content. On my 1024 X 800 monitor, this should not be so much content to cause a vertical scrollbar, -but one is there and it conceals some rather important stuff.
    And the "SEARCH" field is kinda 'buried' where it is and not intuitively located, imho. I might suggest a more prominant location, size, prominance or highlighting. The SEARCH field should have some quality of being lifted above the page-field. Something to provide greater focus on the crown jewel, the purpose of the site, which seems a bit lacking save for the image branding.

If you have Firefox and 'turn off all images', the page shrinks to about 2/3rds the height of my 800px-tall monitor, which feels more comfortable for the shown content. While I have only mild vision issues, I am at the computer for hours every day and this site tires my eyes rather quickly. I'd likely not linger here more than a few seconds if I were tired, anxious or fast-pressed to get on with the business of SEARCHing.

I like the simplicity of the pin image. I would kick it up a notch and position it to display maybe the top-half or top-third of the pin 'outside the lines' of the container and maybe biased to the left one-third of the page. The site is a bit too 'linear' (defined in squares & rectangles). I would almost expect to see TABLE layout here (-I didn't view your code, however).

Design-wise, it looks okay. "Clean" is the popular term and that can't be faulted. I certainly am an avocate of generous use of 'white space' but this is like what my printer does when it runs out of black ink and I have to 'faux' shades of super-dark gray of the 'color cartridge' in lieu of genuine-black to print-out draft reports... -The result looks overly Spartan, ghostly and wanting for more...
    Last edited by WebJoel; 01-27-2008 at 05:56 PM.
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE

Thank you

Thank you all for the great feedback, keep it coming!!

Thread Information