www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: display: inline-block and firefox beta 3 (kaboom)

display: inline-block and firefox beta 3 (kaboom)

Hi all,

I don't know if I am jumping the gun however I decided today to install firefox beta three as it will be coming out fairly soon and I was shocked to see what the main site I work on looked like! Kaboom!!!

Among many problems I have been sorting out is the heavy use of
    display: inline-block;
    When I was given the template for this site and I was suspect of this but I figured since I wasn't told to do the design I would just leave it be and it was fine - of course, until I looked at it today in beta 3...

Aside from an FYI, I do have a question...

Even though it isn't supported in firefox 2 why is it that it didn't cause the massive problems it caused in beta 3. Is it a problem with the beta software? I assume not - It just says that it isn't supported.

If anyone has any insight please let me know.

Thanks

does display: inline-block; even exist?

that doesn't make sense...

dtm32236 is right.

inline and block are basically opposites. Try making all your display:inline-block's into display:block. Since inline-block is invalid, maybe FF2 was defaulting to block, and FF3 is defaulting to inline. Try it out and let us know what you find.

Also, search google for CSS validator. Use it!

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by apeace
    Also, search google for CSS validator. Use it!
    that'll save you a lot of time in the future when you realize your site breaks in new browsers.

inline-block IS valid css 2.1, and is supported by IE but not FF. Where inline-block is used, another method (usually table or table-cell display, which IE doesn't support) is normally set for FF. If both of these methods are used within the one css block, it could cause trouble with a browser that supports both, and this may be the case with FF3 beta.

Personally, I try to avoid these display methods unless they can be targeted to specific browsers that support them.

Hmm... No table-cell isn't used so that isn't the problem.

What I did was completely remove the used of "Display: inline-block" in the entire style sheet. It doesn't seem to affect the layout in i.e. 7 or firefox 2 or beta 3.

I guess the question is - what is the possible ramifications of this change, I mean it looks OK but that doesn't meant that it is for sure...

Thanks!

Thread Information