dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Hosting service should have contro panel to access database or not

Hosting service should have contro panel to access database or not

Our clients commercial website is hosted on hosting server which MARKETING PEOPLE CHOSE. Hosting server don't have anything like control panel. I had to do all research from beginning. I connect to website by ftp. To change database I have created php template & change queries in it like 'alter table add column', or insert values in table. I have linked mysql database to ms access on my computer & every time I add new column, I had to do link tables process all over again. I can't test sql queries in access because it's linked table & there is lot of confusion between datatypes or mysql & MSAccess. I am finding myself wasting lot of time on hosting related issues than actually working to fix website related code. Is it normal? If we chose good hosting plan do they provide control panel where we can view & MODIFY MYSQL DATABASE DIRECTLY.

THANK YOU.

Don't you have phpMyAdmin - might be worth asking the host.

Why not put XAMPP on your computer for testing?

help with xampp

Ok I installed xampp; It's opening control panel. There seems to be some problem.
    How can i make it work? http://localhost or http://localhost/xampp/ is displaying you are not authorized to view this page.
    Which directory it should be installed?
    How many days will it takes on average to get to know & work with xampp?

You are right, technical considerations should be taken into account when selecting a host. And a hosting service with a robust control panel would make your life much easier.

You will want to be able to manage the site databases directly, so you should try and get phpmyadmin installed on your hosted service.

XAMPP is designed to be fairly easy to use out of the box. But as with anything there will be a learning curve that will be steep or shallow depending on your current level of experience.

It would appear that you want to get on with the web part of your role, rather than having to address these issues, however your life will be easier if you get a test environment set up from the beginning, even if it takes a little while.

Did you follow the installation instructions at the xampp site?

phpMyadmin

If phpMyAdmin will be on host server or will I have to install it on my computer??

I am asking this because I asked my host sevice 'I want to manipulate the tables of the database using a tool like phpMyAdmin.'
    And I got reply 'What do you want me to do for you?'

Not particularly helpful then?

phpmyadmin is a web based manager for mysql, and is traditionally stored on the same server as the database. The steps are basically this if you only have ftp access:

1) Download phpmyadmin
    2) Extract the files in the download to a folder on your machine
    3) Create the config.php.inc (based on config.sample.php.inc) to define your mysql connection settings
    4) upload the entire folder to your web host into a suitable folder such as "phpmyadmin" off the root of your web space
    5) Browse to http://youdomain.com/phpmyadmin and login

More detail can be found here: http://wiki.cihar.com/pma/Quick_Install

It would appear that with your host, you will need to ask more specific questions. Such as:

1) Does my hosted space come with phpmyadmin or something similar, and if so how do I access it?
    2) If it does not, would it be possible for you to install it for us?
    3) If not, do you have any objections to me installing it?

The level of support they provide is going to be a marker of how well your experience with them is going to be going forward. If they are not helpful now, how helpful will they be if your site goes down?

If you do not get the kind of service that matches your expectations, then you should really consider an alternative hosting provider. Even if there is a penalty in moving, this could be far outweighed by the cost to your business of not having the support you need when your site is live and uptime is critical.

Paul

Having developer or test site & Actual live site.

Thank you everybody, it is been so much help to me.

I have one more question if site is hosted on other server. How can I set two copies of same site so that one I will work on & other will be live where actual users will visit. I mean what is easiest way to copy test site to live sites. I have just heard term web mirror or something...

thanks again

Thread Information