www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Preload FLV files before FLVPlayback instance appears...

Preload FLV files before FLVPlayback instance appears...

We all know how to preload/buffer an external FLV file using the FLVPlayback component. But is there a way to preload that FLV file several frames before the FLVPlayback component instance appears on the stage?

For example:
    I have an FLA file that basically has two parts. The first part is a short Flash animation, created with the Flash drawing tools and whatnot. Then the second part is an FLVPlayback component that plays back an external FLV file. The problem I'm having is that when the first part is done, the FLVPlayback component instance appears on the stage, and THEN AND ONLY THEN the external FLV file begins to load/buffer, causing the viewer to sit and wait for it to load before it begins to play.

Now I have a preloader in the first frame of the FLA file that preloads all the Flash drawings/animations and the FLVPlayback instance, but is there a way to ALSO preload the external FLV file in the first frame, so by the time the FLVPlayback instance appears on the stage, there is no waiting for the video to load/buffer, its already been preloaded and simply begins playing??

This has been driving me mad and there seems to be no discussion of a technique like this anywhere in the help docs. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks a ton in advance!

I am in the same problem almost .. actually i am new with FLV play back 8. i have same two parts like u but i want to play them togather . But it is not fixing prefectely because of buffering of flv file . Alot of Thanks if anyone helps me .

Thanks

Yeah I haven't made any progress on this either. I have to believe there is a way to control this in Flash/Actionscript. I see so many sites and pplications that use FLV's and I rarely see them all pause and buffer for a bit before beginning to play. There has to be a way to buffer or load these ahead of time...

possible solution

Hey Jeff, I think the greensock preloadassetmanager will do this for you. Ive not used this on flv video, but it says it works for it. I use it for jpgs and it works like a charm:

http://blog.greensock.com/preloadassetmanageras2/

Interesting! I will definitely have to give this a try. Thanks a ton for the info, I'll give it a shot next week and get back to you with the results!

Yeah please do, id like to know how well it works with flvs.

Thread Information