dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Layering one <div> on top of another

Layering one <div> on top of another

Hello,

I have a <div> element on my site which fills the screen. I would like to display another <div> on top of it, which i can turn on and off - is this possible and if so how's it done?

Many thanks for your attention

Absolute positioning or make the content of the original div into a background.

div on top of another div

This example shows what you want. Additionally it is masking the back layer. In IE background color:transparency doesnt work well. Background image(a one pixel dot) is used to evoid that issue. It is covered by the front div layer

#######HTML Begins below

HTML Code:
    <html>
    	<head>
    		<META HTTP-EQUIV="EXPIRES" CONTENT="-1" />
    		<script type="text/javascript">
    			function showFrontLayer() {
    				document.getElementById('bg_mask').style.visibility='visible';
    				document.getElementById('frontlayer').style.visibility='visible';
    		    }
    			function hideFrontLayer() {
    				document.getElementById('bg_mask').style.visibility='hidden';
    				document.getElementById('frontlayer').style.visibility='hidden';
    		    }
    		</script>
    		<style type="text/css">

#bg_mask {
    			position: absolute;
    			top: 0;
    			right: 0;
    			bottom: 0;
    			left: 0;
    			margin: auto;
    			margin-top: 0px;
    			width: 981px;
    			height: 610px;
    			background : url("img_dot_white.jpg") center;
    			z-index: 0;
    			visibility: hidden;
    		} 

#frontlayer {
    			position: absolute;
    			top: 0;
    			right: 0;
    			bottom: 0;
    			left: 0;
    			margin: 70px 140px 175px 140px;
    			padding : 30px;
    			width: 700px;
    			height: 400px;
    			background-color: orange;
    			visibility: hidden;
    			border: 1px solid black;
    			z-index: 1;
    		} 

</style>
    	</head>
    <body>
    <form action="test.html">
    	<div id="baselayer">

<input type="text" value="testing text"/>
    		<input type="button" value="Show front layer" onclick="showFrontLayer();"/> Click 'Show front layer' button<br/><br/><br/>

Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text
    		Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text Testing text
    			<div id="bg_mask">
    			<div id="frontlayer"><br/><br/>
    				Now try to click on "Show front layer" button or the text box. It is not active.<br/><br/><br/>
    				Use position: absolute to get the one div on top of another div.<br/><br/><br/>
    				The bg_mask div is between baselayer and front layer.<br/><br/><br/>
    			    In bg_mask, img_dot_white.jpg(1 pixel in width and height) is used as background image to avoid IE browser transparency issue;<br/><br/><br/>
    				<input type="button" value="Hide front layer" onclick="hideFrontLayer();"/>
    			</div>
    		</div>
    	</div>
    </form>
    </body>
    </html>
    Last edited by WebJoel; 02-18-2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: [html] tags for easier reading

Use any small image instead of img_dot_white.jpg

Ruwang thanks for your reply

I have tried to implement your code with my own, which can be seen here:

http://www.globexposure.net/index_basic_v3.php

I would like the 'frontlayer' <div> to appear on top of the 'display_map' <div> with the marker details when a marker is clicked...this is clearly not happening atm and perhaps it has something to do with the bg_mask - the need for which i don't properly understand.

My website is designed for Firefox and i don't intend on using IE. Firebug does not register any errors so I'm not sure whats wrong....can you help?

Many thanks
    Last edited by daniish; 02-11-2008 at 03:34 PM.

a div on top of another div

bg_mask is used to disable bottom layer(div) controls(buttons links etc) once the top layer(div) is activated.

If the top layer is small in size than the bottom layer(div), the controls (buttons and links etc) in the bottom layer(div) are still active. Once the top layer is active, bottom layer controls should be visible but disabled. If there is no requirement like that in your case, just ignore that layer and related javascript cording lines.

If you have swf's in your layers, this example wont help you.

This example shows what you want. Additionally it is masking the back layer. In IE background color:transparency doesnt work well.....
    "background color:transparency;" isn't proper syntax (assuming that this is how you wrote it in the code).
    It is "background-color:transparent;" and it should work. But anyway...

Thread Information