dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Can't use XML on fortune city, geocities, etc.

Angry Can't use XML on fortune city, geocities, etc.

Hi there! I am trying my darndest to upload my xml, xslt and dtd files to some of the free web hosts. First I had to rename my xslt and dtd files to trick the site into thinking they were text files because the sites won't take them for some reason. Next I execute the XML and it does not see the DTD so I embedded the DTD in my XML file which works on my PC but not on the web site because it can't understand the xslt (stylesheet). I then tried to embed the stylesheet but that doesn't work because it see the start tag of the stylesheet as being an additional header tag in the XML doc.

If anyone could help me I would appreciate it. Oh I did rename the files back to DTD and XSLT, respectively, once they were up on the web. In case you were wondering

There are good reasons why geocities doesn't let you upload those files. (ASP, PHP, PERL, CGI also) The main reason is they are a security risk, and another is you have a free website. If they are going to let you put any file on you want, they are losing business.

CGI?

But XML isn't really CGI, well maybe but it doesn't require any special software to run, like ODBC or JInitiator, etc.

My real question was, can you embed XSLT into your XML?
    Last edited by ranadan; 11-24-2002 at 07:06 PM.

I mentioned CGI as another language it doesn't accept, not what XML is.

CGI again

I only mentioned CGI because XML doesn't fall into any other category you mentioned like asp, etc. CGI is not a language but more of a style. You can code CGI in any language. most people use perl and java to build thier dynamic documents. My question is simply this, can you embed xslt into xml in a way that the file would be accepted as xml but still be able to utilize the stylesheet? I am sorry for any confusion earlier.

My question for you Ranadan is:
    -If you can't even upload a file named .xml how o you think the webserver will send the correct mimetype for the file?

Reciving XML files as type="text/plain" won't work in nonbuggy browsers

Yes, XSL can be embeded in XML. See http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-Embedding-Stylesheets for details.

THANKS!

Stefan: I was able to upload my XML but not my XSLT and DTD. It took the XML fine but not the other 2.

Charles: THANKS MAN!

EMBEDDED XSL

Charles: Thanks again. Another problem. LOL I am using my stylesheet to pretty much build my HTML but I suppose I can code a work around so that it is loaded with and HTML doc.

I am only doing this until I can get a credit card to purchase webspace with a provider that supports java, cgi, etc.

Thanks again.

I think it's a little early yet to be publishing in XML. I run my documents through a processor and publish the resultant HTML or PDF. Two XSLT processors that I like are Saxon (http://saxon.sourceforge.net/) and Xalan (http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/index.html). For XSL-FO processing I use FOP (http://xml.apache.org/fop/index.html).

Got a new site, now I can XML away, lol

I fixed my XML problem. I got hosted by UnitedHosting.co.uk

Now I can do whatever I want! Only downfall is that I had to set my system up as a duel boot so that I can work on my applets and cgi (in the future) because the host is linux. But is that really a downfall? I like Linux. Anywho my site is www.pcgamergeeks.com
    and if you want to see the XML file it's at www.pcgamergeeks.com/xml/web_catalog.xml

Thread Information