www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: IE CSS issue with min-height DIV

IE CSS issue with min-height DIV

I have created DIVs in CSS which layout my page - all going fairly well, until I test in IE6 (horrid)

I have a main content DIV with sub-DIVs floated - the main #content style is set to:

Code:
    #content {
    	width:100%;
    	margin-top:5px;
    	padding-bottom:5px;
    	background-color: #666666;
    	font-size: x-small;
    	overflow: hidden;
    	border: 1px solid #000000;
    	min-height: 380px;
    }
    This was making the content within this DIV (including all the floated sub-DIVs) have a min-height as specified, which then grows when the content is larger..... except it didn't work in IE6. The min-height was being ignored so it looked all squashed up.

Having searched Webdeveloper.com I found that adding the following:

Code:
    height: auto !important;
    height: 380px;
    To the style made the min-height attribute work in IE6, but it doesn't seem to allow any expansion - so it may as well just have a 'height' set!

Any ideas how to get around this - I hate being forced by IE to workaround these problems, but since they have the majority share in browser usage, I suppose I have to (and I know alot of users still use the older version due to dislikes over some of the new features

Help!!

LP

The overflow: hidden; is what is locking the height and not allowing expansion. If the overflow is required to force float enclosure, then I would put the IE6 specific stuff in a separate style rule:
    Code:
    #content {
    	width:100%;
    	margin-top:5px;
    	padding-bottom:5px;
    	background-color: #666666;
    	font-size: x-small;
    	overflow: hidden;
    	border: 1px solid #000000;
    	min-height: 380px;
    }

* html #content {
    	height: 380px;
    	overflow: visible;
    }

Thanks - thats exactly what I needed (and yes, I needed to have overflow: hidden on the main style so that the background grows in height for the sub-DIVs (I think this was something you may have recommended on a previous post?!)

Wouldn't it be nice if IE joined the rest of the browsers and fully supported CSS!

LouPhi

Thread Information