www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Can inline styles be used with classes?

Can inline styles be used with classes?

While I'm learning and testing CSS examples I find it a big nuisance to constantly scroll back and forth between content and styling. It looks like inline styles only work with elements but I'm hoping there is a way to make them work with classes.

huh?

inline styles work with classes:

<style type="text/css">
    .className {...}
    </style>

or <div class="className" style="...">

anything in .className or the style=".." will overwrite your external styles.

0sync0, that's why most people put styles in a separate file, you can then just switch between two open windows, or depending on your editor, two open tabs.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

Quote Originally Posted by dtm32236
    huh?

inline styles work with classes:

<style type="text/css">
    .className {...}
    </style>

or <div class="className" style="...">

anything in .className or the style=".." will overwrite your external styles.
    I had already tried that. I guess there is something else wrong.
    Last edited by 0sync0; 02-19-2008 at 11:31 AM.

Sync,

If you want to do the styling inline, it is no use and maybe even counterproductive to give elements (= everything in the <body> except scripts) a className. Just use <div style="">, <p style="">, etc.

But I would strongly recommend to use style blocks or external style sheets. With a proper editor (www.htmlkit.com, build 292 is good and free) you can indeed easily switch between tabs, as David suggested.

And when you use a style block, you can jump to the top of the code file with Ctrl + Home, and to the bottom with Ctrl + End.
    Last edited by Frank62; 02-19-2008 at 01:01 PM.
    How to: Target IE in, Position in, Center in, Create a Fixed ('Sticky') Footer with, and Create a Drop-Down/Fly-Out Menu with CSS: Website Laten Maken Amsterdam.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank62
    Sync,

If you want to do the styling inline, it is no use and maybe even counterproductive to give elements (= everything in the <body> except scripts) a className. Just use <div style="">, <p style="">, etc.

But I would strongly recommend to use style blocks or external style sheets.
    I realized that using the class didn't make sense with an inline style. Removing the class solved the problem.

The site already uses external style sheets.

Right now I'm working on a test page converting a header within a table to CSS. When I'm done it will become a server side include. In a situation where you have a SSI header, is using inline styles so horrible?

The code below shows what I'm doing to get a graphic to display acroos the screen. Is the method used ok or is there a better way?

HTML Code:
    <div style="background-image: url(images/g_molding.jpg);
    	background-repeat: repeat-x;
    	height: 17px;">
    </div>

Is the method used ok or is there a better way?
    That's quite alright. As long as you don't use the old FrontPage method, which declares styles in every tag. Also if the tag is a repetitive one, such as <p>s. Changing such a page is a horrible task. That's why I emphasized the strongly so strongly... :-)
    How to: Target IE in, Position in, Center in, Create a Fixed ('Sticky') Footer with, and Create a Drop-Down/Fly-Out Menu with CSS: Website Laten Maken Amsterdam.

Changing such a page is a horrible task. That's why I emphasized the strongly so strongly... :-)
    I will be for 'real' content. But I don't see the point for a header that consists of empty DIVs.

Empty divs should be deleted, but furthermore your thought isn't that peculiar. Unless the inline style declaration consists of a number of property-value combinations. Then it will be more difficult to see errors than it is when you have them neatly arranged in a style block.

Empty divs should be deleted
    HTML Code:
    <div style="background-image: url(images/g_molding.jpg); background-repeat: repeat-x; height: 17px;"> </div>
    In this code example, which I posted earlier, if I take out the styling it will be an empty DIV except for the class.

Sync,

An empty div is a div without content, so without anything between <div> and </div>.

some browsers don't like empty divs and will treat them improperly...

it's suggestible to put a comment or something inside of it

<div class="emptyDiv"><!-- empty --></div>

Thread Information