dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Would like to add a 'LOADING' message to my Html/Flash Page

Would like to add a 'LOADING' message to my Html/Flash Page

Hey all... my first thread... could use your help.

i have a site that features many home video's of my lovely daughter. The site was created for my family to be able to keep in touch with us after we moved from the North to the South.

Either way, i'm not exactly too skilled in Flash. I am very limited and was lucky enough to find a simple template to create my exported video's.

I presently am using a regular HTML page, with a flash player embedded within to showcase my video. It works, but not the way i would like for it to.

I have originally set my buffer to 4 seconds and have found that this is not nearly enough, as the rest of the video tends to catch up way too quickly.

I would like to set this to 10 seconds, but i don't know how to leave a 'LOADING' message while this is happening.

I'm imagining the many experts in here would be able to help me with this, as this is somewhat an easy problem to those who know.

Anyway .. thanks in advance for the help.
    I look forward to hearing back from you all.

Well I’m not exactly an expert but I like to learn things by working on problems.
    How are you turning the videos into Flash video files (flv)? Do you have control over things like bitrate, dimensions, etc? It sounds like you are using a template of some sort to display the video player, is that correct? Can you get into and add or alter the code of the player? Is there a status bar that shows the loading progress? After the initial buffering, does the video continually stop…wait to buffer…play a little more…etc. or is the initial buffer time the only problem?
    Perhaps getting this discussion started will get some real experts to weigh in.

Sorry for how long it has taken me to get back here.

as for my pages ..
    yes - i can get into the flv file through flash, although, i'm not exactly a flash guru, so this just sends me scrambling aroun dfor about two hours of lost time.

I think i may have been wrong in my original post.
    I have tried playing these video's again with the four second buffer and seem to be playing ok... it seems that i may have a bandwidth problem, because i think my 'stuttering' problem happens when multiple video's are being played. (i'm guessing, but this seems to sound right)

Anyway, i still don't have a little buffer symbol to add to my video, and i think it would really help me out if i did.

Thanks for your reply.

What you really need to do is to get inside the player, not the .flv file. This is were you can set the buffer, and create and set up the status bar. For example you should see a line something like this:

ns.setBufferTime(15);

Set the time to whatever works for you, but remember, every connection will vary depending on the specifics of that particular Internet connection.
    I personally don’t like a “buffering” message. While I know what buffering is, my mom and dad don’t. But they do understand the “Loading….” message. So an alternative to adding a short “buffering” message at the start of the clip is to create a blinking movie clip that simply says “Loading…” and place it under the status bar. Easy to visualize and understand what’s happening. Here’s an example:
    http://www.lynnjohnson.citradingcard...eo_player.html
    This is a custom player I created, the client will develop the page at a later time.
    You would look for something like this to identify the code used for the status bar.

function videoStatus() {
    amountLoaded = ns.bytesLoaded / ns.bytesTotal;
    loader.loadBar._width = amountLoaded * 183;
    loader.scrub._x = ns.time / duration * 183;
    }

The “Loading…” message is also built into the player, not the .flv file, so you kind of need to get inside it to make those changes. If the player you are using is not doing the job, there are a lot of other ones out there, including custom ones like I create.
    When you say “problem happens when multiple video's are being played”, do you mean that you have multiply players running or is this when you click to play a second video before the first is finished and they kind of run over each other?

Thread Information