www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Saving an entire table

Exclamation Saving an entire table

Hi
    I am working on a PHP/MySQL system which would be used so users can save existing content from MS Word into the database by simply copy and pasting paragraphs into the form.

There is no problem with with paragraphs and single lines, but when it comes to the tables as you might guess when they copy we will lose all the formating and it changes to a series on lines with spaces between cells and unformated.Does any one have a suggestion for this situation?

Users do not want to copy cell by cell and paste it one by one, trying to find a way to send the entire table in one shot. Can it be done?
    Thanks in advance

when you say table... are you talking about a table from the word doc?

i'm inclined the say this has little to do with sql itself. how does the formatting get saved onto the box in PHP? im assuming you're using a textarea to gather data. is it WYSIWYG style or something? What's the data type for the column that's holding this data?
    Acceptable Use | SQL Forum FAQ | celery is tasteless | twitter

celery is tasteless - currently needing some UI time

More info

Yes table from Word document.
    Presently I am using textarea in my forms to get the data and send it to a column of type TEXT in MYSQL.
    How would you do it?

Well, the issue's more of an input issue rather than a db issue. Most WYSIWYG editors will convert the formatting of a table into HTML table for you to store in a db. If it's just a plain textarea (like the default quick reply box at the bottom of this thread) then you're going to lose formatting since web apps don't by default keep formatting when entering into a client browser.

maybe a tool like the ones found in this search would help you
    http://www.google.com/search?q=wysiw...fficial&hs=FOJ
    Acceptable Use | SQL Forum FAQ | celery is tasteless | twitter

celery is tasteless - currently needing some UI time

Thread Information