www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Live Streaming Help

Live Streaming Help

So, I've been charged with an interesting task...one which i have never done before so i'm coming to this forum for some help and direction.

What i must do is stream a live feed over the internet, the source being a coaxial cable. This is for a church and they tape their services using an old school video camera that can tape to VHS or output coaxial. I need to pull the feed from that cable and stream it live.

I have no clue as to the hardware (other than, i'm pretty sure i need a TV tuner card), software, or actually how to stream live video...so anything will be of help.

Thanks in advance

Well that certainly sounds like an interesting project. You may find that the equipment you are starting with will be more of a hindrance than a help though. For starters it would be easiest if you had a digital camera, even an inexpensive one can do quite well for Web work. Once you have the camera, you will need to connect the camera to a computer that has encoding software on it. If you are a Windows user, Windows Media Encoder, free from Microsoft is a good choice to start with.
    The computer will have to have a high speed Internet connection (with emphasis on the high UPLOAD speed) to “push” the stream up to an actual “streaming server” if you are really wanting streaming and not just progressive downloading of video files. Once you have the stream sent up to the server, you will have to provide a Web page that will display a video player so that viewers can watch the video over the Internet.
    My advice would be to practice this on a small scale before jumping in too big. Get a digital camera hooked up to a laptop, use a free encoder like Windows Media Encoder, try out a couple of free streaming server Web sites, like streamwebtown.com (or others).
    That will probably help you decide if you want to make the investment in a “Live Streaming Host”. Hey, any problem can be solved with money…….can’t it..????
    Best of luck!

so what your saying is i can't stream live from a standard $6.95/month hosting package...i need to get another server?

Well the short answer is, no, live streaming is usually much more expensive. Your host probably only serves out files that are already loaded up on the server.
    But the long answer is yes, you could still use your site to host the video player page on your Web site, and embed a video player on your page which gets it’s stream from somewhere else (the streaming server host). Practice with a free server, there are several out there that would work for a small number of viewers (streamwebtown.com and others). Get some of the bugs out, and then if it seems feasible, search around for a streaming host that can handle a large number of concurrent viewers.
    The alternative is to use your host to do progressive downloads of videos you have uploaded to the server. They are not live but could be uploaded shortly after the event and then viewed over a wider period of time, unlike the “Live” feed which would only be available while it was happening.
    I encourage you to give real streaming a try!

Thread Information