dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: 550 Permission Denied Error on Domain

Question 550 Permission Denied Error on Domain

If anyone knows exactly what that means "550 Permission Denied" and how to fix it, please reply.

I've got a domain with a 550 error message when I try to access it using my FTP software and trying to access it through my control panel.

I put in a ticket to the web hosting company but the technician that keeps responding doesn't have since enough to understand that the error is in the domain. He keeps asking me questions about my computer setup. I've tried searching all over the site for a telephone number to call someone but haven't been able to get in contact with the company except through the support area of the site which is not working out well at all.

My site has been locked since March 3rd and I'm loosing time and money working with the technician from Oz!

Celes

This is a permissions setting for the "user" that's trying to transfer files, and only your server admin can correct it.

What hosting company is it?
    Last edited by kelly23; 03-11-2008 at 05:58 PM.

The hosting company

The hosting company is Bravenet.com. Is there something I did to cause the error or was it caused by Bravenet?

Generally a hosting company issue. Have you been able to access it in the past? Are you using the same user account?

Yep!

Up until March 4th I was able to access it with no problems. I've had the account for almost two years.

Are you sure you're trying to upload files to the correct directory? Is this a free hosting account? Have you exceeded bandwidth or storage? Are you even able to connect or just getting errors when you try to upload files?

Here's some info from a thread on the Bravenet forum. Maybe it will help if it's a problem with uploading to the right directory:

13.1 If you have a Free Bravenet Hosting account you should see a folder called:

yoursubdomain.bravehost.com.

Double click the folder, now you are in the root directory of your website. This is where you will save your files.

13.2 If you have a Paid Bravenet Hosting account you will see two folders: one named 'logs' and one named 'web'. Double click the one named'Web'. In this folder you will see another folder with your domain name, double click this folder and you will be in your root directory. This is where you will save your web documents.
    I think I'd be moving my site to a better hosting account where the customer support is a priority and the techs are more knowledgeable.

It's not free!

The site that I'm having problems with is a paid site. I actually went into my account (control panel) to try and figure out the problem but wasn't able to access my own domain even from within my account. I'm experienced with using FTP software and have never had this problem before even with the free accounts that I had years ago.

I was told that it would take 24-48 hours for the fix to take effect and it's been a lot longer with more damage added to the problem. The technician reset the DNS records and made some changes to .htaccess which now has an effect on a very important email account that I have with Google, which means he changed the MX Records also!

In the meantime, I had to copy all of my web pages to another domain that I have, then redirect the URL to the other domain. Now the technician says, "I will need to remove the forwarding to see the site and the error in order to replicate and test the issue."

What's that got to do with a 550 error and a MX record problem? I'd really like to know how the 550 error occurred in the first place. With my understanding of domains I just can't see what removing the redirection of the URL has to to with a domain being locked. As I've already told the technician, if he would just fix the 550 error I can correct the MX Records myself.

Thread Information