dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Linking Tables in Data Set or Stored Procedure

Linking Tables in Data Set or Stored Procedure

Im currently in the process of developing a new system in ASP.net. The system uses multiple tables from a SQL database. To link information from say the products table to the suppliers table a unique key from the suppliers table is stored in the products table to show which products each supplier has bought...simple so far.

From this I can then pull out any of the information relating to that product instead of just displaying the ID. Currently this is done by creating a stored procedure and then dragging the stored procedure onto the dataset layer to create the data adapter.

Im not 100% this is the best way to be doing this. Is it possible to simply just link the tables in the dataset layer to display a string from another table instead of an ID referencing number?!

any help on this would be much appreciated as I cant really continue untill I have sorted out the data structure problems.

Thanks in advance

If all that you are doing is looking at the data, you could create a View that contains the elements you want and use it jut like you would any other table.
    54 68 65 42 65 61 72 4D 61 79

Views are just like using stored procedures though arnt they? Is it not possible to pull the value from the linked table via the BLL or within the dataset itself?

Quote Originally Posted by dmowfo
    Views are just like using stored procedures though arnt they? Is it not possible to pull the value from the linked table via the BLL or within the dataset itself?
    No, actually views are more like tables than stored procedures. Their data is always on the server (rather than executed) and you can query them just like you would query a table.

could you give me an example of how this would work?

Thread Information