www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Transparent video

Transparent video

Does anyone know how to create a transparent video that I can z-index with a div on my site to interact with the page elements?

I know about key'ing and green screens in AE, but I don't have a green screen. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi

I think you need to be a bit more specific.

Do you need to know:
    a/ how to film for post-prod keying without a 'greenscreen' ?
    b/ how to key in AE ( production or std AE?) ?
    c/ how to take the keyed video into flash & output .flv with alpha ?
    d/ how to embed on your web page ?

It would also help to know what you are filming.

Gord

Thanks for the reply Gord!

I am filming myself... just a person standing against a wall talking.

I know:
    a/ how to film? I mean I know how to use my MiniDV but I don't have access to ultra-professional lighting and HD Cams. I think this is where i need some tips because I've never shot my own footage for AE. I've always used stock stuff or created motion graphics. How would you go about this if your access level was Mini DV and standard house lighting?
    b/ I do know how to key in AE CS3 Pro
    c/ I have a video tutorial on this. So yes.
    d/ I will be placing the swf in a div that is z-indexed to the top for the portions where interactions are not required, but drop it under links when the video falls below buttons and things like that, I've integrated flash onto a website before. So yes.

There is no reason why you shouldn't get perfectly good results with miniDV.

Presumably you will film & key in std resolution and scale it down for the web , which will be very forgiving.

I'm sure a bit of trial & error will help.

my best tips would be:

Shoot in progressive scan if you can

Always remember when you look through the viewfinder ,the trick is to get a significant separation between the edges of the subject and the background.
    Wild hair & woolly clothing CAN be difficult areas.

If the transparent video is to end up on a white web page then consider shooting against a white wall.
    If you have blond hair or very pale skin this could be a problem.
    or
    Paint the wall fluorescent green.
    or
    Get a roll of lino 'off-cut' from a DIY shed & paint the back fluorescent green.

Do not stand too close to the wall ( at least a couple of metres if you have the space ) . This will avoid shadows ( which will hinder good separation) and allow you to light the wall separately.

Lighting
    This is the bit that makes the most difference.
    'std house lighting' does not sound good
    Good quality video is always lit well and it shows in the end product.

You do not need pro lighting to get a good image, but it would make life a lot easier.( lighting the subject with 2-3 'warm' lights and the back wall with a 'cold ' light to help separation.)

Without enough lighting you will get artefacts , poor separation and the image will look 'flat'.

You can get perfectly acceptable results using cheap & cheerful lights from a DIY shed.
    The problems will be light placement ( getting them high enough) and reducing the output which will probably involve moving them away from the subject or bouncing them off a white board, and colour temperature, which you can fix with white balance (cam)& colour controls in AE.( providing you don't have different temperatures hitting the subject)
    I would look at getting a couple of fluorescent lights for the subject ( one for either side) and something to 'flood' the back wall.

Alternatively, if your wall is next to a window, maybe just something to light the back wall and a white board to bounce light back to the other side of the subject. But you will be in the hands of the weather & clouds etc.

Avoid shadows on the back wall.
    Good luck

Gord

This is most helpful!

Thanks and I really appreciate all of the tips. I will try to post a link when everything is done so maybe you can see what i've done with the advice.

Thanks again!

Thread Information