dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Does a FTP or Web server, still run when the computer is in StandBy or Hibernate?

Does a FTP or Web server, still run when the computer is in StandBy or Hibernate?

Well just as the Titles states it as.

In StandBy, background applications are still ran, so yes.

In Hibernate, the PC is halted entirely, so no.

On my RHEL4 box, Standby allows Apache2 to run just fine, although access kicks it out of standby (haven't figured that one out....)

On my Kubuntu 7.10 Box, my Apache2 server will not run using it's "sleep" function, but this could be a configuration issue.

interesting.. ill have to test this

Ok thanks, I was hoping it would run with the fan off. I guess I need a liquid cooling so it's quiet...

this must depend severely on OS and other configuration settings. with nothing but default settings on my winxp box running iis6, i couldnt touch the web server... mostly because the second i went into standby, i couldnt ping it.

@aaron: Wake on Lan? You should have immediate access to Apache1/2 on Windows XP when in standby (NOT HIBERNATE). Assuming that you've enabled "wake on lan", usually located in your BIOS setup, but I have seen it configured with a DIP switch on the motherboard.

Keep in mind that all current data when in Standby is stored in RAM, so when someone accesses that computer via the network, the computer is *technically* no longer in Standby, it's awake. You could do the same with Hibernate, but you would get several timeouts before it actually loaded all the data (from the hard drive, not from RAM).

Sometimes, when a computer is in "standby", the first ping will fail, but subsequent pings will succeed. This is, of course, assuming that you've allowed wake on lan.... if your computer isn't listening on network ports then it probably won't wake up.....

[edit]
    Found this link http://winhlp.com/node/57
    [/edit]

Quote Originally Posted by webgovernor
    Wake on Lan? You should have immediate access to Apache1/2 on Windows XP when in standby (NOT HIBERNATE). Assuming that you've enabled "wake on lan"
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    this must depend severely on OS and other configuration settings. with nothing but default settings on my winxp box running iis6, i couldnt touch the web server.
    you've certainly restated my point. thanks!

Well, it should work with virtually any OS and Webserver, IIS6 is probably fine, although that's according to our IIS users here at the office, and I don't trust them....

Instead of "severely" depending on your OS/Configurations, it just depends on your WOL (from what I've encountered, anyway) settings, and sometimes that's even configured as enabled by default a BIOS/CMOS.

You should be good to go without any major changes. If you're interested in setting it up, I could provide you with BIOS manual links, but it shouldn't be that complicated.

I believe that it is accurate to state that "yes, a webserver can be accessed while a PC is in Standby." Of course, that is the root of this topic.

@Dragonkai, if you'd like help setting up wake on lan, you may send me a private message, and I'd be happy to walk you through the steps.

Thanks, but it doesn't matter now.

only for the sake of argument do i post this message now:

Quote Originally Posted by webgo
    "yes, a webserver can be accessed while a PC is in Standby." Of course, that is the root of this topic.
    by itself, that answer is possibly* incorrect. it required elaboration instead of assumption. i brought that elaboration to light (assuming the information was still needed, and definitely if it is needed by others in the future).

without configuration changes, i ran my IIS server. i put it into standby. it was 100% non functional. therefore, any changes i needed to make would need to be severe to get it to 0% non-functional. severe is more than the word for it. and the incomplete answer to this question is "yes it works." the complete answer is "yes it works, but you have to..."

*because i only tested it on one platform, but im sure that other software implementations on the same platform would suffer the same, unconfigured, fate

I could see where setting "Wake on Lan" to "on" would be a severe change for some, but it really is a simple BIOS option. If you have BIOS experience, the change would be minor, and I assumed that it was obvious that "Wake on Lan" would need to be enabled.... but apparently not.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron.martinas
    without configuration changes, i ran my IIS server. i put it into standby. it was 100% non functional. therefore, any changes i needed to make would need to be severe to get it to 0% non-functional. severe is more than the word for it. and the incomplete answer to this question is "yes it works." the complete answer is "yes it works, but you have to..."
    This sounds a lot like: "My computer is 0% functional, plugging it in would make it 100% functional, but that is a severe change."

I guess it may be severe in the technical sense, but it's also an incredibly "easy/obvious" change.

If you're interested in getting it running, you could purchase a computer that already has WOL enabled, or even one of several BioStar motherboards with the option defaulted, as this would be "less severe" then entering your BIOS and pressing the [space] bar over the [Wake on Lan?] option (usually the only steps required, you may need to navigate to the option first).

If you'd like assistance in getting this functional, I could provide some for you, I promise it won't be much less severe then you think. To test this, I took a simple DellD400 laptop (Running RHEL4), and I then enabled Wake on Lan, started my Web server, and put it in Standby.... and I was able to access my webserver. In about 4 minutes time.

i am more than aware of WOL functionality. I am not the one having this problem.

as this has devolved into a war of semantics, and while i have unfortunately gone that way, let me be the first to get back to the conflict at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by me
    this must depend severely on OS and other configuration settings
    my use of the word severe did not imply that they were difficult changes. the wording explicitly indicates that i mean that without configuration changes (regardless of perceived difficulty), this LIKELY won't work on systems.

and the truth of that matter is just that... you go on to explain some of those changes that would need to be accomplished, thus validating my notion that there were configuration changes necessary.

and regardless of how "matter of fact" they are to you, in the interests of helping, completeness is necessary. i helped usher that information into this thread, thus completing the information.

so just to reiterate, severity was never meant to denote the difficulty of the changes. it was meant to illustrate the departure from "default" that the changes would entail.

In conclusion you can enable a webserver to run in StandBy when it's not being accessed, on almost any system, by taking the following steps.

1. Enter your bios on boot. (Usually DEL, F10/12 or [ctrl]-F1).
    2. Enable Wake on Lan. (Usually found under the "Network" menu).

For those curious, the above works on every system I've tried it on. If someone can't get those two steps to properly allow network access to Apache (or I$$), then please post here and I'll try to diagnose the issue.

One thing I'd like to add, if you're receiving a lot of hits, on your IP then the time spent in StandBy will be minimum. The easy (but severe) changes may also require a second reboot, assuming you have an older bios that continues on saving changes.

Thread Information